• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced my rear main seal last night but....

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
it still leaks oil. I have no idea why it is still leaking The drip is coming off of the front of the transmission right behind the drain plug. What else would be making oil leak right there?? This just really sucks because I just want it to stop, any ideas???

89cherokeexj said:
it still leaks oil. I have no idea why it is still leaking The drip is coming off of the front of the transmission right behind the drain plug. What else would be making oil leak right there?? This just really sucks because I just want it to stop, any ideas???

The valve cover gasket is usually cork and when it leaks at the rear, it looks exactly like a rear main seal leak. Remove your valve cover and clean it up real good. Scrape off all the gasket material from the block and the valve cover. Get a rubber gasket for the valve cover instead of the cork, and use it. Tighten all the bolts to spec, and you should be good to go.
Its important to clean your valve cover especially the baffles on your 89. This will help with blowby.

You know that thers a dye you can add to your oil thats blacklight resposive, turn on the motor, turn off the shop lights and a black light will show the dyed oil coming from the source of the leak.

I've tried the dye routine, but if the valve cover leaks enough, or blowby is dripping off the back of the engine, it can really confuse the issue. Plus, not cleaning the block to remove all the drippy oil completely - especially behind the torque converter, which winds it up and sprays it everywhere, allows the excess to keep draining down.

The corners of the gasket against the rear main need a touch of sealant, which the gasket instructions recommend. I'm sure you've done that.

Keep watching it, you'll know you sucdeeded when it doesn't take a quart a hundred . . .

89cherokeexj said:

Cam Plug?

Back