• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5-90 and other tranny guys, please help

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

cut my tranny line. at the front of the bell housing, bottom of tranny, passenger side, there is a bracket that holds the tranny lines with small metal bands. this band managed to cut the tranny line very slightly, but i am pouring out tranny fluid from this line. if i poke it with my finger, it comes out, so i know this is where it is. there is an indention where the band gouged into the line. i cant see the hole.

what is the best way to fix this? i will probly have to cut the line and put a hose in there. i would like to add a tranny cooler at the same time i fix this, but i have to be at work at 8 AM so im worried about that right now.

-Tim

i was lookin at a few writeups for tranny coolers, and it looks like i can use hose clamps and maybe heater hose?? i would double up on the clamps just to make sure...

would this work?

-Tim

Patch with 3/8" power steering hose, top off the transmission fluid, and address properly later. The 3/8" line should fit neatly over the ends of the hardline, and worm drive clamps will do for securing it (since there is little pressure in there anyhow.)

5-90

If you need a quick trail type fix, just cut the line at the leak and slip on some 3/8" tranny cooler hose on it and clamp both sides. This will get you by untill you get another tranny line.

can use a hacksaw blade or tubing cutter....You really should flare the cut ends before patching the leak w/hose and clamps, no flare on the metal line and the hose/clamps could blow off (wear your good shoes)....

jeepnuts311 said:
from where can power steering hose be had?....

translation: where can i get it?

-Tim

Its a basic autoparts store item. Why ask for power steering hose though? ask for universal transmission cooler hose (3/8" size). Its less expensive than power steering hose (at least where I work) but I believe its the same stuff. Don't put hoses over a flare, a sharp flare will cut through the hose. You can try to swell (not flare) the metal tube I guess...

wow, stu didnt even use hose clamps on his tranny cooler. must be very low pressure...im going to try the p/s and or transmission cooler line tomorrow, but for now, i am going to use hose repair tape i bought at the gas station i walked to. not many auto parts available at 1 AM.

hope it holds up. its meant for radiator hoses. its gotta cool my tranny for 30 miles to work. 15 city and 15 hwy.

-Tim

That's because you're dealing with oil.

I've used "push-on" connectors and hose that weren't designed for clamps with success, but I tend to want to use clamps anyhow. There's little pressure in there, you'll lose fluid rapidly due to volume/flow rate, rather than pressure.

I had a hose blow in my face when I was checking an external cooler, and all I got was soaked. When a hydraulic pressure line lets go, one can get quite damaged - when it's a "residual flow" line like this (the pressure is bled off because the fluid has already done the work,) it's just messy.

5-90

hey,
got to work this mornin by just adding tranny fluid every 10 miles. after work i picked up some 3/8" fuel line (they didnt have PS or TC line) and 4 hose clamps. cut about 8" section of pipe out and put in about a foot of the new rubber line two hose clamps on each end. seems to be working great now.

but, the tranny still shifts funny out of first. it kinda "builds up" and then surges into second, not jerky..its smooth, but before the only way i could tell it was shifting was when the RPMs dropped. between cutting the lines and driving with a hole, i lost about 3 quarts of fluid, and mixed new stuff in with the cooked stuff. the only reason i didnt change it totally was just in case my patch leaked i wouldnt waste all new fluid.

-Tim

The hard shifts could be that the tranny is over full. I had my 93 over full just by a little on the dipstick and it shifted funny. So I drained the excess out and made sure it was right on the full line and it works great now. Just some past experience, I hope it helps.

lawsoncl said:
Next silly question. What type of trans fluid did you use? It should be Dexron and not ATF4.

mercon dexron atf III

redyouch said:
your tranny is almost destroyed. driving with at least 3 quarts low is.... how can i say it..... very bad.

obviously i added 3 quarts back to it after 3 quarts drained out...

jeepnuts311 said:
between cutting the lines and driving with a hole, i lost about 3 quarts of fluid, and mixed new stuff in with the cooked stuff. the only reason i didnt change it totally was just in case my patch leaked i wouldnt waste all new fluid.

-Tim

Back