• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really weird blinker issue.

MoonScryer

NAXJA Forum User
OK, here is one for the Brain Trust (tm).

I have a 96XJ. I found the shorted wire which originally caused my lights to short out; it was the right front side blinker. I also replaced the "clicker" relay under the dash.

What I have now is this:

1) Light switch off - left blinker is fine, right blinker will cause emergency lights to blink for BOTH right and left sides.

2) Light switch on - left blinker fine, right blinker lights up on dash solid like a blown bulb.

When lights are off and trying right blinker, you can hear the difference in the "clicker" relay under the dash, it makes the same dual clicking as the emergency lights.

I haven't check all the bulbs in the back lights, but I am running out of other options but to suspect the column blinker arm/switch its self. This thing has an airbag, so I'm not too keen to remvoe the wheel.

Help, and much thanks.

my first thought would be to just replace all the amber bulbs as well. its cheap and it can't hurt.

MoonScryer said:
OK, here is one for the Brain Trust (tm).

I have a 96XJ. I found the shorted wire which originally caused my lights to short out; it was the right front side blinker. I also replaced the "clicker" relay under the dash.

What I have now is this:

1) Light switch off - left blinker is fine, right blinker will cause emergency lights to blink for BOTH right and left sides.

2) Light switch on - left blinker fine, right blinker lights up on dash solid like a blown bulb.

When lights are off and trying right blinker, you can hear the difference in the "clicker" relay under the dash, it makes the same dual clicking as the emergency lights.

I haven't check all the bulbs in the back lights, but I am running out of other options but to suspect the column blinker arm/switch its self. This thing has an airbag, so I'm not too keen to remvoe the wheel.

Help, and much thanks.

My 99 cherokee had similar issues, it was the signal switch. On the 99 you can replace it without removing the steering wheel. Doublecheck your column and look for screws down underneath to remove the column cover to get to the signal switch.....http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1h/bl271h.htm

Hmmm. Didn't know it was a multipiece setup. Have to check it out. I'm also going to go through and make sure the bulbs in the rear are good as well as the front again. Thanks.

My 92 did this...My hazzards would blink Left Righ Left Right, instead of at the same time...When I hit my blinker it just stayed on not blinking. I ran a wire from the back of the bulb and grounded it to a peice of the jeep. It has worked for 3 years now.

i am working on that same thing right this min. on my 99. But it is the other side. I have gone threw my bulbs, pulled all the trim out of my interior and checked all of my wires for a short. and replaced the blinker under the dash twice. I just went to auto zone to order the turn signal switch. There is nothing else it can be. Save your time and just get the switch. it is 59.95

I had something similar on my 90 xj. I had to replace the fitting that the bulb goes into goes it was corroded and shorting out against each other causing some lights to work and others to not to. I just wired one in from the junkyard, easy.

Back