• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guitars and Cadillacs

wingnutooa

NAXJA Forum User
minus cadillacs.....

shopping for an electric guitar.

cheeeeep. because it will my first guitar.

anybody have any ideas to what i should look for?

its not a fad and i wont be getting rid of it.

i've played the viola since the 4th grade and i really like strings.

always wanted to learn guitar but never had the means motive or opportunity.

i've looked at a couple on gregslist for under 100 and there's a local pawn shop thats got a couple for 105.

the one on billslist that stood out was a bridgecraft?

and a cruise at the pawn shop. also had a stratocaster? with a wammy bar. not sure if i'd use the wammy or not.

also like this one...

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msg/594209162.html

but dont really know what it is. a little spendy though.

strats are always a good place to start....i have a Ibanez RG series and a telecaster

The key thing to look for is a design/color you like you will like to play it more and appreciate it longer....it also depends alot on your style of music you would like to learn

for heavy/more rock orientated dual humbuckers are probably best, if your looking for smothing more mellow/twangy you'll want something like a tele, a strat is kinda the best of both

another thing to keep in mind is your fingers, i have fairly large fingers and its lot harder to play some necks than others, and weight I like lighter guitars, gibsons and epipones tend to be heavier

n33801372_32107081_7641.jpg

my ibanez on the left, tele in the middle and takamine on the right

Last edited:
wingnutooa said:
i think my hands are pretty average. i can see how it'd be easier to play some things with longer fingers.

Not necessarily longer, but if you have thick fingers, a wider neck can be a good thing. The neck on my Seagull acoustic is wider than my Yamaha, and is easier to play.

red_01_xj said:
...and weight, I like lighter guitars, gibsons and epipones tend to be heavier

My strat is pretty heavy too. You start to feel the weight after about a 1/2 hour.

-Jeremy

x2 on either a strat or ibanez rg series, buy it used, and try to get a brand name or at least a squire. if a squire is a rip off of a strat, my first was a rip off of a squire, pressed fiberboard body! sounded like crap!

definately start out used. Try to stay away from ultra cheap off-brands because you do get what you pay for. I usually keep looks and feel in mind. Pickups can be changed down the road and you can taylor the sound to your music style.

I your just beging, just go over to Guitar Center and pick up a Sqire Strat. Cheap (made in Japan) so you wont have to worry about it too much, and lots of times they have package deals so you get like a little amp, couple sets of strings, maybe a tuner etc... Once you get more into it you can start looking at real guitars.

how much would that run me?

i already have an old karaeiouke machine that i'll be using for sound and strings are only about 5 bucks.

and i can tune it by ear so i dont really need a tuner either.

still a bad deal?

and sort of related sort of not.

would you rather be able to have an ear for music/play by ear

OR

be able to read music.

NOT BOTH....which would you choose?

Yeah i think the whole set up is like $150 or so. and remember the impedence and resistance is different between an amp and a kareokee machine. Playing through it could possibly ruin your machine. Just cause they use the same jack doesnt mean the are the same.

Play by ear. My brother can listen to a song for 2 seconds and play it on either the guitar or piano. Thats pretty awsome.

looks like a standard "strat body" guitar... whats the price on it?

nope... its not. Gibson and Epiphione (who is made by Gibson, its their chinese version) are companies. theres no such thing as a gibson epiphone.

If its a Gibson or an Epiphone it will most likely look like either the black or cherry guitars in this pic. (Both are Gibson btw.)

n6310842_2400563_7924.jpg

Back