• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear lower shock mount

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my rear shocks and as luck would have it, the lower mount broke on the right side. GRRR. I cut the stud off and then spent a while drilling a 1/2" hole in it. I ran to NAPA and got a repair kit but it doesn't fit! The threaded part that goes through the mount isn't long enough. I grabbed a bolt and nut and fabbed a temp solution but I want it fixed right. Anybody have a suggestion?

I broke both of mine off the rear of my XJ when I changed my rear shocks. I ended up cutting two bolts and welding them in place. I've had it like that for about 6 months now and wheeled it pretty hard at the Badlands without a problem.

asatxj said:
I just replaced my rear shocks and as luck would have it, the lower mount broke on the right side. GRRR. I cut the stud off and then spent a while drilling a 1/2" hole in it. I ran to NAPA and got a repair kit but it doesn't fit! The threaded part that goes through the mount isn't long enough. I grabbed a bolt and nut and fabbed a temp solution but I want it fixed right. Anybody have a suggestion?

just weld the head of the bolt to the back of the mount.

What size have you guys used? 9/16 seems a tad small for the shock.

No reason to weld if you don't know how to or don't have a welder...Just get a bolt of the same diameter of the bolt that broke off of the axle-end mount, drill through the bracket, and use a nut on the other end.

Simply use a wrench on one end and a ratchet or impact on the other to tighten. Use washers too and maybe a lock washer.

Problem solved.

Blaine B. said:
No reason to weld if you don't know how to or don't have a welder...Just get a bolt of the same diameter of the bolt that broke off of the axle-end mount, drill through the bracket, and use a nut on the other end.

Simply use a wrench on one end and a ratchet or impact on the other to tighten. Use washers too and maybe a lock washer.

Problem solved.

i agree, thats all i would do, but he said he wants it "right".

he could go to any garage or local welder and have them weld it for $5.

I can weld a little. When I finish my MA I'll take a class at the local CC that'll help. I have a friend who does excellent work and I'll call him and get it done. Right now It's working ok- put 60 miles on it this am- with no noises and good ride.

Back