• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This problem is shocking !!!

LineXKevin

NAXJA Forum User
This problem is shocking !!!

After a GREAT Winter fest run with the Midwest NAXJA I was loading my MJ onto my tow dolly and I thought I cut my hand on a sharp piece of metal.. looked and NO blood.. hmmm then my friend yells from under the Jeep.. “What the #@%$# I'm getting
shocked...... “ STOP ... DROP and ROLL time. The only items on the dolly are the tires. Open up the hood and take the negative cable off the battery ... I yell “ Try it now” I hear “%$#@#” again .. hmmm ?? take positve cable off .. still the shock .. unplug the flat 4 at the trailer, still a shock...

I must be NUTS .. new to the group I didn't want folks to think I was crazy but I called a few NAXJA members over ( even the Pres) .. I showed them the batter cables off.. the trailer plug off and said “ touch my tailpipe ( ya I did get a look) .. next thing I hear is $#@#$” .
They looked at me, looked at the Jeep, looked the battery NOT hooked up and backed away slowly... never to be seen again. Did the only thing I could do .. packed up... drove home. 5 hours latter no shock... The only thing I have left out so far is that my Jeep in sprayed with Line-X bedliner ( complete body ) .... all ground straps seem good.. Can a Jeep have and keep and discharge a shock ...

I'm not sure Midwest NAXJA will have me now as a member..

Any thoughts ??

was it in a puddle?
if it was indeed storing a charge, touching the tailpipe would have grounded it through the person but it would have stopped after that. If it continued to do it after several people and no application of the battery cabels then you have a constant sourse of charge coming from somewhere. Maybe a below ground power line was corroded and the groud was wet enough to transfer a charge...

the tires and the paint cound have insulated the charge that the battery imparted to the chassis...

maybe it was aliens....

Where was this?

If it was at the inn, on the access road, I am not surprised.

The high tension lines are just overhead....it is not unusual to get an induced voltage.

Rev

EMSJEEP said:
was it in a puddle?
...... Maybe a below ground power line was corroded and the groud was wet enough to transfer a charge...

maybe it was aliens....
Sounds like that's what it was. I had the same thing happen to me on a job. I was down on one knee (wearing shorts) and pick up one of my tools and as I did, got a nice little shock. There was a power pole about 6 ft. from me. I called the owner of the business owner to show him the situation. The grounded current was so great, it was getting the asphalt hot it was starting to soften. Since it was an obvious safety concern, we called Edison. Guess what they said? "Call the Fire Dept". Go figure.

Or then again Aliens is as good a call as any :rof:.

"Ground Plane Potential"

Our 4-legged friends don't fare well in that environment.

Back