• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is the last year for the two door xj version

2001 the last year they made the XJ;)

brianb2247 said:
just curious

Like everybody else said... they made (a few) 2-doors, right up til the end.

I have a 2000 2-door sport.... and have only seen a handful of '00/'01 2-doors in the (nearly!) seven years I've owned it. (Only '00/'01 have the black-on-silver "4.0 LITRE" badge). Only SE and Sport were available as a 2-door at that late date. I would have preferred a Classic, but demanded a 2-door.

I had to order it. My dealer had probably 25 Cherokees on the lot, all 4-doors, all but 3 or 4 of them were Sports...

Den

i have a 1990 cherokee larado 2 dr with the external bumper mount tire rack. and it has the overhead cosole with a compass and temp gadges. and auto windows and locks and with the keyless entry. alot of options in 90, huh

I recently talked to a guy in a McDonalds parking lot that had a 01 red 2 door sport, the only 00-01 2 door I have ever seen.97-99 don't seem to be common either, but I have seen a few of what should be them(Like Den said, the easiest [and only I know of] way to tell is the different 4 litre badge on the back). 96 and earilier 2 door models seem almost as common as 4 door ones.

90xj, huh...I didn't know the keyless entry option was available back in 90.(Note to self: add that to bin of useless knowledge that only I find interesting)

I've been told my 88 is fairly rare - two-door Laredo with FOUR functioning "smoker windows." I was asked if I wanted to trade it in (I was at the local dealership to return a parts catalogue I'd borrowed...) and my answer was "for what?"

They didn't have anything that would be worth the bother for me to trade in my 88, so I drove it home.

5-90

90xj06 said:
what to you mean by the smoker windows the pop opening ones in the front and back.

Yeah - those. Apparently, most of the two-doors (in the early years,) have functional smoker windows up front, but decorative ones in the back. Or was it the other way around? Anyhow, having all four working was a relative rarity early on, and the 2-door Laredo was agreeably rare to start with (although I don't care for chrome much...)

5-90

5-90 said:
I've been told my 88 is fairly rare - two-door Laredo with FOUR functioning "smoker windows." I was asked if I wanted to trade it in (I was at the local dealership to return a parts catalogue I'd borrowed...) and my answer was "for what?"

They didn't have anything that would be worth the bother for me to trade in my 88, so I drove it home.

5-90
theres an early model xj down the road from us thats a 2 door with the vents you described. i think its for sale too. but its 2wd :gonnablow

my '93 country has the 4 functioning smoker windows that get plenty of use.

my '90 laredo has a good portion of the amenities-power leather seats, upper console with little holders for things/compass/temp/keyless, power windows, abs, selec-trac, 6-speaker stereo, etc.

Oddly in 01 if you looked at the advertising, sales brochures etc there was absolutle no mention of the existance of the two door. -- no wonder they didn't sell many.

FWIW My 96 sport has "functional" rear vents, fixed fronts. They dont actually stay open for more than a mile..

gjxj said:
Oddly in 01 if you looked at the advertising, sales brochures etc there was absolutle no mention of the existance of the two door. -- no wonder they didn't sell many.

After 17 years... and with Jeep's emphasis on the upcoming Liberty... '01 Cherokees were sold mainly on word-of-mouth!

The '00 brochure had a pic of a lone 2-door SE, IIRC...

My salesman (who I'd dealt with before) even tried to get me to hold off on ordering my '00 Cherokee... because the "improved" Liberty would be in the dealership in another couple of months. I told him that the only reason I was buying "now" was because I didn't want to end up losing out on the ability to order a real Jeep... and, well, the Libby didn't come in a 2-door anyways!

Den

Back