• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

did i cook my fluid?

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

did some good wheelin today, ill post up some photos later, but anyhow, there was a small mud hold that i felt like trying and i got stuck as crap even with lockers. my warn m8000 and my friends tabor 9000 could not get me out, i was under there for about 2 hours. some of the time my engine was running to keep the battery charged for the winch. i tried to get myself out a few times too with the skinny pedal.

OK, so my tranny shifted weird out of first on the way home, but was normal in all other gears. so after getting out and cleaning everything off really well, i checked my fluid level. it was still as high as normal (never have had to add fluid...doesnt leak a drop) but the fluid was brownish pink rather than light red.

fixin to change it now.

i havent ever had water get in there during crossings and stuff, so im assuming i just cooked it???

TIA

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
smells like crayons

Any specific color of crayon?:roll:

I'd drain it all out and put fresh in and see what happens.

If you have to ask, you're boned...

Just kidding - it's fairly normal for Dexron to go from bright red to a slight brownish cast - as long as you can still discern a reddish cast to it, you didn't wait too long. However, if you DID heat up your fluid, it's going to make your slushbox a little strange until you cool it back down...

I don't suppose you'd have added an external transmission cooler (yet!) have you?

5-90

no, no tranny cooler.

i just want to make sure i didnt suck in a bunch of contaminants (MUD)

it was really smooth upshifting and down shifting, just lurched out of first kinda weird.

-Tim

my tranny fluid is a brownish color in my 1994 jeep cherokee country with 175,000 miles. we just bought it and its still stock. the fluid doesnt smell burnt so I guess it just needs a change. right?

JeepFreak91 said:
my tranny fluid is a brownish color in my 1994 jeep cherokee country with 175,000 miles. we just bought it and its still stock. the fluid doesnt smell burnt so I guess it just needs a change. right?

My rule of thumb is that any time you buy a used vehicle you change every fluid you can find. You have no idea how long those fluids have been in there and it's a lot cheaper to change some fluids now then to change a transmission later.

yea i knew it needed changed but I was making sure it wouldnt mess up anything. Alot of people say it wont while some say a flush will mess up something. Probly wont do a flush but just a change.
edit sorry for the hijack

FiFo said:
My rule of thumb is that any time you buy a used vehicle you change every fluid you can find. You have no idea how long those fluids have been in there and it's a lot cheaper to change some fluids now then to change a transmission later.

x2. And make yourself a note somewhere as to when you changed what fluid and how many miles were on the clock.

Ya know, somebody ought to make a little calender program you can enter that stuff into that give's you a heads up on your computer when it's gettin' close to the date to do regular maintenance.

Back