• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1984 2.5L cherokee carb questions

techshooter02

NAXJA Forum User
who uses what on their 2.5L cherokee motor?
We are having problems with ours and thinking about changing it out for a new one.
Should we go with a holley or a carter oem replacement carb?? or something else?
:hang:

I'm sorry I can't help, but don't start alot of threads. Just one will do and if anyone has any info to contribute they will.

I Just have a stock Carter 1bbl on my 2.5L. It does fine. If your having trouble with it, Rebuild it or go to the junkyard and find an XJ with a 2.5 and steal the carb off it and try it.

Holley, Carter, Champion remans are all of equal quality. They will get you a working carb that will perform as the original did for years to come.

What makes you believe the carb is your problem? I ask because I have seen more carburetors replaced in an effort to solve other problems than I have seen "worn out" carbs. Remember that the carb uses engine airflow and vacuum to regulate the fuel flow, so it is imperative that you correct all problems that could affect this first.

i'm just afraid that the one from a junk yard will not be in any better shape then the one i have
looking to purchase a new reman carb but not sure which one to go with?:cheers:

the cherokee runs very rich and you cant even stand the exaust from it when idling burns your eyes. the lower butterfly shaft is slopy in the holes when you grab it and move it up and down.
so today we made sure that the choke is opening when it warms up and it does.
We found that the previous owner had taken off the cadlyatic and cut on of the emissions reburn tube off of it. so we just removed both of them tubes for the emissions reburn cause one was just haning.
but still is running very rich:doh:

double check all four plugs are clean and firing before you condemn the carb-- although the throttle shaft being loose is one of the few things that would push me toward a reman, it would cause an unusualy lean mixture due to the extra air being pulled through the clearances. A sticking or poorly adjusted float will also give you a rich mixture if the engine is pulling gas out of the bowl and into the intake

techshooter02 said:
i'm just afraid that the one from a junk yard will not be in any better shape then the one i have
I dont know what kind of junkyard you have, but I found a 2.5L xj with what looked to be a BRAND NEW carb on it. And it was. 20 bucks, and I had myself a new carb to slap on. It did wonders.

Heck, If you were closer than bend, I'd come over and look at it. With all the sh!t I've fixed on my jeep, I know my way around a 2.5 pretty well.

we put new spark plugs in it a few weeks ago and that didn't seem to help the richness of the exaust.
when the cherokee is idling with the carb exposed and you can see the top we never seen any fuel going through the overflow into the carb so i think that the float is ok i guess.

85xj4dr, where do you live?? maybe we could meet up ? what time do you get out of school?:rattle:....just kiddn man where do you live at kinda close to bend?

85xj4dr.....thats kinda far thanks for the offer though anything special you found on yours (carb) or the emissions system that might be of some use to us things not needed like the emissions system?
thanks

I left alot alone(stock), but just go over your vacuum lines and make sure they're all good and you dont have a leak. A vacuum leak can make it run rough and burn super rich because the engine thinks it needs more fuel than it actuall does.

Also, If your carb is as bad as you say it is, just about any other carb will be better. Just find one out of a junkyard thats in better shape, spend 20 bucks on a rebuild kit, and you'll be fine. Thats the cheapest Fix I can think of. Carb rebuilds are real easy, just pay attention to how it came apart so you know how it goes together. the directions sheet you get with the rebuild kit shows an exploded veiw of how it goes together.

HTH.

Make sure the lines are right then run a can of "all u need" fuel system treatment to pass emissions and the carb will clear right up.

we took all the vacuum lines off the engine and only kept the dist vacuum and the heater vacuum with aux canister. Runs better not as rich running and lots smoother.
:yelclap:

Stay away from Weber! (In my opinion..) I had an 85XJ that we purchased in '85. After 20 years, I thought I'd "upgrade" to a Weber. Getting that thing to work right was such a headache that I wished I still had the Carter.....which works beautifully when rebuilt. Good luck with the sleuthing....I just wanted to throw in my $0.02

after removing all the vac lines it has been a few months now and it runs great, not rich smelling at all, exaust smells like most cars now days due to the current gas we are all burning. We run some fuel booster through it twice a month.

Only thing we noticed is that when it is near empty it dont run as good and the exaust smells funny. other then that it runs good for a 4 cyl.

Back