• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

powertrax install problems

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
I put in a powertrax noslip into my 8.25 27 spline today. Everything went pretty good and seemed straight forward until i went to do the spin test. The problem is, the wheels do not turn at all when in gear. I try turning the driver side in gear and it does not go forward or backward, and the same with the passenger side. it does spin freely in neutral, but i cant figure out wtf happened. anybody got any ideas?

are you trying to do this with both tires off the ground?

if your not you need to be doing this with both off the ground

i'm not sure how you can do a spin test in gear with the engine off in a 5 speed. It wont spin when in gear because your trying to spin the engine when it off

i'm not all that familiar with rebuilding the rearends or adding a locker but i think if you spin it in nuetral and both tires spin the same dirrection your good to go.

it does spin in neutral, but it only seems to spin both tires in the same direction. Ive read where some people have had problems with the powertrax noslip spin test but it just fixed after driving it. I'm tempted to do the same but i just dont want to bust anything...

you want them to spin the same direction. it sounds like your good to go to me. Keep in mind that i haven't done this myself before and you may want to wait for someone else to chime in.

with the tires off the ground in neutral if both tires spin the same direction you are good if you spin and the other doesn't spin or goes the other direction that is bad. you won't be able to spin the tires in gear

jonnywong said:
it does spin in neutral, but it only seems to spin both tires in the same direction. Ive read where some people have had problems with the powertrax noslip spin test but it just fixed after driving it. I'm tempted to do the same but i just dont want to bust anything...

So you've got in installed...
-when you turn the wheels while in gear you cant turn them. Makes sense, you shouldn't be able to spin the engine, and the other wheel is locked with the one you're trying to spin.
-when you turn the wheels in neutral the other wheel spins the same direction... yeah... it sounds like you installed a locker. Congradulations!

right.... i see what all of you are saying, but the last steps of the install manual are misleading, because they tell you to put it in gear and spin the wheels...

Hmmm, seems that most of the replies are from people who have not installed a No-Slip. ;)

I installed my front and rear No-Slips. You need a helper for the test. If you spin one tire forward and then hold it in position, you should be able to break the other tire loose going in the opposite direction.

Then do it the other way. Spin the same tire backward, hold it, and the other tire should break loose going forward.

And then do it from the other side.

Did you check the gap using the supplied block? If the block does not fit in the gap, take the whole thing apart and do it again. Don't think that it's magically gonna fix itself.

I thought that the No-Slip instructions were very clear and easy to understand. Read the instructions over and over til it makes sense.

Hopefully, Tim from Minnesota will chime in here shortly.

yes the gap checked out perfect with the block supplied. I did have a helper and still no luck with the test. And yes i agree the instructions were very clear but im a little confused with the spin test.

I put a No-Slip in my 8.25 last fall. The instructions were complete but slightly confusing for a first-timer.

I did the test with a helper and we had to do it a few times until the No-Slip acted like it should. I think there were some rough spots on the locking mechanism that kept it from working normally on the very first try. Make sure you give the tire a good hard spin while testing.

thanks for the responses everyone, i put the dif case back on filled her up with some oil and she works like a charm. I guess i didnt spin the wheel hard enough on the test or something, but im just glad it works

the helper has to hold it hard against the locker and you kinda have to jam it hard to get it to unlock. if that doesn't work jiggle it back an forth

Back