• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Brackets vs. Adjustable CA's

js_customs

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I'm adding onto my lift on my 88 xj soon, which should put me up to about 4". I have a 3" kit on it but it sagged (I was dumb and went with the AAL, so it's my fault). I know that I'll either need control arms or drop brackets since I'm currently on stock arms. However, I'm a broke college student so I can't afford anything really expensive. I was looking at the Rough Country adjustable arms or the Rough Country drop brackets. I searched and both seemed to be ok for me.

I only do mild trails and some mud, no crazy rock crawling or anything, although i'd like to get up to Rausch Creek soon. I'm just wondering which will be better for me. Also, would adjustable upper arms be necessary for 4" of lift?

Drop Brackets aren't really called for below 4" lift, as that's the point where you really start feeling the need for them. Control arms are a different matter, as they don't affect the axle position (when installed correctly).

Read http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html for more info on the RE Drop Brackets and why they work.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Thanks, that gave me a lot of info on the drop brackets..So you're recommending the drop brackets instead of the adjustable arms? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I was just a little confused.

If you are not doing any serious off roading the drop brackets would be fine and as long as you dont go over 4 inch coils in the front you can use your stock control arms with them. I had Trailmaster drop brackets on my jeep but did not like them because I run difficult trails and rocks and they would jam on stuff if you didnt watch out for them. I went to rubicon express control arms and love them because I gained that extra clearance. I would check the prices for control arms. I am running the fixed Rubicon Express control arms for their 4.5" lift on 4"coils and they work perfect. Axle is in perfect placement and no hassle trying to adjust them and one less thing to break or mess up. :clap:

Back