• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2008 XJ 25th Anniv. Event Trails

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
I have a working draft of trails and am in the process of matching up trails to leaders.
Thanks to those who have volunteered to lead trails so far, anyone else who is interested, please PM me with the trail/trails that you are willing to lead.

I realize that knowing what trails are being run each day is important for those making plans to attend this historic event and I will post up a draft of the trail run list and leaders later this week, with the goal of having all trails and assigned leaders finalized by March 31st.

I can lead a trail, Jeff. I would prefer to see the trails list first and what is still needed (just make sure I know the trail well enough). I'll be there Wednesday night thru Sunday.

As always, you can sign me up to lead Steel Bender if it's available.

Yeah, Steel Bender is the only trail I feel comfortable leading (led last year). But I learned from the best...Troy.

I'm sure there will be more than one Steel Bender run during the week.

Just made some additions tonight. Realizing that it's no longer March 31st........look for the draft list to be posted in the next few days. As Richard and I have discussed, we'll take feedback for a few weeks and then firm up the trail runs so folks can firm up their trip plans.

I have a list of folks who have PM'ed me, willing to lead runs (thank you!) but I wanted to get the list out there first, then get your commitment to lead on a specific date.

Trail runs will be limited to 20 vehicles, including Trail Leader. NAXJA will collect $5 per vehicle, per trail run, which is used to offset the BLM Trail Use Permit Fee that NAXJA is required to pay for this event.

We plan on modeling the Trail Run scheduling after the Red Rock 4 Wheelers Easter Jeep Safari, in that attendees will pre-register for runs, prior to the event. Unlike EJS, changing your mind on what trail you want to run at the event will be handled on a case by case basis. If a person wants to switch from the trail they've pre-registered for to another trail, at the time of the event, this will be allowed, under the conditions that the Trail Leader approves and there are unfilled slots on that trail run.
Last minute attendees that do not pre-register will have the option to run trails that have open slots. First come, first served.

WayneXJ said:
10 vehicle limit on Pritchett?

Wayne, with you leading, 20.....or even 30 rigs should be no problem. :shocked:

10 is a good number for PC.

Here is the Trail Run draft that has been compiled to provide a good mix of popular trails in the Moab area. If you are interested in leading a trail, please PM me so I can revise this schedule and add in the Trail Leader names for each run.

View attachment NAXJA 2008 25th Anniv Event Trail Draft R2.pdf

View attachment Moab Trail Rating Scale.pdf

Moab Area trail descriptions, compliments of Red Rock 4 Wheelers Inc.
http://www.centralpt.com/pageview.aspx?id=16364

Also, we welcome feedback regarding this schedule from those planning on attending this event. We will take your input for 2 weeks, before finalizing the trail run schedule for the event, which we want to have nailed down by May 25th so folks can firm up their travel plans.

Last edited:
Looks good, Jeff! Just a couple of things…

Do you have departure times planned out yet, some of those trails will leave early due to the distance or difficulty involved, right?

It might be worth mentioning on the schedule about the $10 National Park entrance fee for accessing Elephant Hill and Lathrop Canyon. Also the $5 fee for the trails in Sand Flats Recreation Area- Hell‘s Revenge and Porcupine Rim. Unless NAXJA is picking up the tab. :)

Oh yeah, how about putting the 10 vehicle limit for Pritchett on the schedule?

Last edited:
Handlebars said:
Looks good, Jeff! Just a couple of things…

Do you have departure times planned out yet, some of those trails will leave early due to the distance or difficulty involved, right?

It might be worth mentioning on the schedule about the $10 National Park entrance fee for accessing Elephant Hill and Lathrop Canyon. Also the $5 fee for the trails in Sand Flats Recreation Area- Hell‘s Revenge and Porcupine Rim. Unless NAXJA is picking up the tab. :)

Oh yeah, how about putting the 10 vehicle limit for Pritchett on the schedule?

Thanks for the feedback, Alex.
Departure times will be added, factoring in trail difficulty and distance. Not a big deal right now. $5 BLM and $10 NP fees will be noted on the final doc.

NAXJA is not planning on picking up these additional fees and the $5 fee that NAXJA will collect for each rig is a direct pass-thru to the BLM.

We could structure the trail run event fees like RR4W does for the Easter Jeep Safari; $50 per rig the first day and $25 per rig for each additional day and you are awarded trail choices in a raffle process. Nothing wrong with this, just not the model we're adopting.

The goal of posting up this draft document is to get feedback on the trail selection itself and see if there are other trails that folks would prefer to run, before we finalize the trail run schedule for the event.

In the past few years, if a trail required a fee, like canyonlands or the sand flats area, we didn't charge a trail fee. Will this still be in place this year?

XJEEPER said:
The goal of posting up this draft document is to get feedback on the trail selection itself and see if there are other trails that folks would prefer to run, before we finalize the trail run schedule for the event.
How about an area BFE day for the hardcore crowd? It's not my kind of wheeling but I know there will be a bunch of people there who like to abuse... I mean, do that sort of thing. Metal Masher is deteriorating to that point also, with a couple of roll-worthy obstacles. Otherwise there is only 2 days on Pritchett Canyon limited to 10 Jeeps each.

Handlebars said:
How about an area BFE day for the hardcore crowd? It's not my kind of wheeling but I know there will be a bunch of people there who like to abuse... I mean, do that sort of thing. Metal Masher is deteriorating to that point also, with a couple of roll-worthy obstacles. Otherwise there is only 2 days on Pritchett Canyon limited to 10 Jeeps each.

I ran Metal Masher a few days ago and I agree that it's getting harder, Widow Maker is huge now. I had some pictures of it but I left my camera in Moab. :(

DrMoab said:
In the past few years, if a trail required a fee, like canyonlands or the sand flats area, we didn't charge a trail fee. Will this still be in place this year?

If the trail is on the schedule, we're obligated to pay the $5 fee to the BLM. Unfortunately, we need to pay the Sand Flats or NPS fee as well.

Back