• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken spider gears: what now?

yourconfusedhaha

NAXJA Forum User
this morning wheeling the front spider gears stripped a bunch out but not enough for 4wd to not work at all

i've already got the front shaft pulled and that helped a lot during driving and later im going to change out the gear oil to get all the chunks out

my question is, is there any thing special i should do so i can keep driving it untill i buy an aussie for it?

IF you have no other options and driving the vehicle home from the trail is unavoidable; you do what you have to do...., but I would advise driving the Jeep daily.
Depending upon how bad the spider gears are broken; even if you drain the gearlube and put new lube in... the spider gears will continue to wear putting metal particles or chunks into the gearlube. This will destroy the carrier bearings along with the ring and pinion gears.

The same thing happened to me:exclamati, so I put in an Aussie. I was only down a couple of days, so I didn't need to pull the shafts out, but didn't drive it either.

Thennn, the DS yoke broke and destroyed my new u-joint. I had to remove both INNER shafts (IMPORTANT: Keep the OUTER stub shafts in the bearing hubs) and I stuffed the axle tubes with plastic grocery bags to keep crud out. I drained the diff to keep the oil from sloshing out. I replaced the stock shafts with Alloy USA. I ran like this for a month without issues. (It took that long for the shafts to be delivered.)

You could also remove the carrier and clean it up while your Aussie is being delivered. When it's time for R&R, check/replace your axle seals and your carrier bearings for damage or wear.

Fran

Last edited:
how much damage do you think it would cause if i ran it just long enough for the aussie to get here? i need it to get to work and back

also when i changed my gear oil a few weeks ago it was black as night and about 5 of the spider teath were not lookin so good, chiped, ect..
from the looks of it, it looks like they were bad for a while before i got it, so my guess the damage has already started

it only really needs to last long enough till i get my taxes back because i want to get some junk yard axles from a 4 banger cherokee so i can have 4.10's

You mentioned pulling a shaft. Exactly what did you mean. Driveshaft? Axle shaft? Never drive without at least the short portion of the sxle shaftt in the unit. The wheel can simply fall off.

If you need to run for a while, simply pull the spiders and leave them out. Make sure the pieces are all completely flushed out of the housing or you will be replacing the ring and pinion as well. An errant chunk can instantaneously sieze the axle. Not a fun thing to happen on the freeway.

old_man said:
You mentioned pulling a shaft. Exactly what did you mean. Driveshaft? Axle shaft? Never drive without at least the short portion of the sxle shaftt in the unit. The wheel can simply fall off.

If you need to run for a while, simply pull the spiders and leave them out. Make sure the pieces are all completely flushed out of the housing or you will be replacing the ring and pinion as well. An errant chunk can instantaneously sieze the axle. Not a fun thing to happen on the freeway.

sorry should have been clearer i pulled the drive shaft out

so basically follow this right up except dont put the aussie in?

http://www.4x4xplor.com/aussielocker.html

yourconfusedhaha said:

Yes do that. I did the same in my rear D35 and pulled shaft and drove with the front and brother told me not to for to long, and I REALLY had too, got down the road 25 miles from home and the real end locked up on me because the teeth kept breaking so yeah. Pull the ring before go to far. I was glad to do that to rear end because gave me excuse to upgrade to a 8.8. :yelclap:

yourconfusedhaha said:

Not exactly...
If your going to drive it you need to pull the inner shafts. As mentioned, you HAVE to keep the outers in. Don't just pull the carrier and stick the whole shafts back in, it will damage them.

You will need to pull both axles, separate them at the U-joint, and reinstall the hubs with the stubs attached. You really don't need to pull the carrier at this point, especially since you already pulled the DS.

Then, also as mentioned, stuff rags in the axle tubes to keep junk out.

Back