• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diamond plate door panels

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a four door 92 xj limited and it's starting to show it's age. the cardboard door panels are beginning to fall apart. so i was thinking about making some replacement door panels out of some aluminum diamond plate. anyone ever done this? was it a pita? how much would it cost for materials? does anyone have any photos?

thanks

IIRC you can use a tailgate cap (diamond plate) from a Dodge Ram and just cut it to fit. Some searching should turn up some threads.

i have a tailgate cover from my bosses old ford work truck i was going to use for one of them or for the floor in the cargo area once i pull up the carpet. i know the factory door panel curves at the top and was wondering how easy it is to bend the DP to the top of the door or maybe end it at the arm rest and use some foam and cloth where it starts to curve up to the window. i'm just looking for some ideas to make it easier than trial and error. i searched the forums, but found nothing that really related to what i'm trying to do.

I'm making some diamond plate side panels for my cargo area. But it's pretty simple since they are flat pieces.

IMG_3281.jpg

Making diamond plate door panels would be a PITA with all the curves and such.

I have thought about doing the same thing. The only curve is the one at the top and its basically there just to help hold the weight of the panel and the inside belt molding. I would be interested in pics if you do this becuase it will be alittle bit before I do it.

Chad29860 said:
I have thought about doing the same thing. The only curve is the one at the top and its basically there just to help hold the weight of the panel and the inside belt molding. I would be interested in pics if you do this becuase it will be alittle bit before I do it.

i''m thinking of tracing the factory ones right up to where it starts to curve, then take the top part from the factory one and somehow rivit it to the DP. then countersink some screws or maybe some button head screws or something to attach it to the door. then put some foam weather strip in between them. i'm not sure what thickness to use yet. i want to use something thin for the doors and something a bit thicker for the cargo area floor i think. i need to get out the tape and see how much DP i need and call around and get some prices next week. if the front ones turn out ok i'll do the rear doors as well.:idea: :idea: i'll post some photos when i'm done.

Thats the same I was gonna do on the doors but I have rhino lining all over my floor so I am not going to do the floor. I would suggest the rhino lining it is awesome and easy to clean just vacuum spray on some purple power and wipe with a rag. If it gets real nasty I go to the carwash pull out the floor plugs and hit it with the pressure washer and then leave the windows open to dry things out.

Back