• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad to bottom out shocks?

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
I got some rancho shocks real cheap the other day... my problem is that the eye-to-eye shocks are too long for the rear (I moved the mounts) and the eye-to-stud are too short for the front. Yes, the shocks are different lengths. Basically, my question is... is it bad to bottom out the shock when stuffing a tire? I will have about 5 3/4 in of shock up-travel if I decide to adapt the eye-to-eye to the front, and I have about 7.5 in between the bumpstop and the coil bucket thing...:wow:

2.5 in of bumpstop???

well... JUST putting shorter shocks on isn't exactly cheap... AKA not what I'm going for. I got four (yes, working) rancho shocks for $20..... you can't beat that unless they're free!

just did... lol. I'll likely bumpstop. What's best to use? I know about hockey pucks... anything else?

those shocks are going to be more expensive when you break the mounts or blow out the shocks and are out the 20 bucks you spent for them and then have to spend more money on getting the correct ones

and that's why I'm trying to find a way to eliminate that problem... AKA bumpstopping

so... best way to bumpstop 2.5in?

cutt off your OEM bumpstop tower, add 2.5" of tube, weld it back on...

adding bumpstops may make the shocks work... at the cost of uptravel, and your gonna be on your bumps on every speedbump.
i would say you got borderline ripped off at that price... sorry

wanna elaborate on your rear relocated shock mounts? dd you also relocate the top rear?
from the way you word the subject of this thread, you MUST know bottoming out shocks is bad for them.... but im honestly tempted to say its not. just to get 4 more ranchos off the road
you get what you pay for in shocks, unfortunately

Last edited:
The shock mounts are much stronger than people here are making them out to be. Since i put my 8.8 in and moved my shock mounts my rear shocks have been to long. This has been about two years ago and I have just been to damn lazy to fix the problem. I have bottomed the shocks out HARD hard enough I thought they were going to come through the floor. The shock mounts upper and lower are just fine. By no means is it a good idea to run shocks to long but the world will not end and the shocks will not come through the floor and kill your children in the back seat.

tayman said:
I got some rancho shocks real cheap the other day... my problem is that the eye-to-eye shocks are too long for the rear (I moved the mounts) and the eye-to-stud are too short for the front. Yes, the shocks are different lengths.

Man, I'll make you a deal on a pair of shoes. Left is size 7, right is size 12 but if you lop off some toes you'll be good to go.

Some deals aren't worth it because of what they take to make it work. I picked up proper length basic hydros for my 5" of lift for like $50 or so. Sell your ranchos for $25 and get what you really need.

hey, I was at the guy's house, picking up some springs, and he had them laying there... They looked like they'd work, so I grabbed them. $20 bucks for four working shocks is a damn good price... he doesn't have a problem with me returning them to him, so I may just do that. Or try to sell them for more.

wanna elaborate on your rear relocated shock mounts? dd you also relocate the top rear?
What I did was cut off the brackets on the axle and move the mounts up, so the eye mounts even with the axle tube, rather than under it. (this pic still has the stock bracket...

000_0945.jpg

Last edited:
xcm said:
adding bumpstops may make the shocks work... at the cost of uptravel, and your gonna be on your bumps on every speedbump.
i would say you got borderline ripped off at that price... sorry

5.5in isn't enough for a speedbump??? are you kidding? Stock bumpstopping isn't that much!

bottoming out on $20 ranchos is one thing, your jeep wont fall apart....
do the same thing on good shocks, and you'll ruin them...

also, if you ONLY move the lower rear shock mount... arent you losing travel? your supposed to relocate the upper mount as well...

I'm losing a little up travel I guess, but my droop ability is increased. I'm not worried about the rear at this point... mostly the front.

so... what is better then? Bumpstop and lose a little over 2" of up-travel? Or get shorter shocks and lose downtravel?

someone?

........anyone?

Back