• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can't figure it out..... need help ASAP please

denali_on_26's

NAXJA Forum User
first its a 89xj 4.0 auto

i can let it idle for 35-45 mins and ever drive it around the yard and everything runs fine....BUT as soon as i drive it down the street 3-4 miles it will just die... i can try so start it back but all it will do is turn over..no spark.... i can wait a while and it will crank back... it has done this twice in 2 days in the SAME EXACT SPOT!!!

i don't have alot of money to be just trying things to see if it works so please help asap.... it is sitting on the side of the road!

Check and see if you have power and signal to the coil...also maybe check power to the injectors...I seem to remember a lot of relay issues on those...

My 88 crapped out in the same spot three times, it turned out to be a heat issue with the CPS. As soon as it would hit a certain temperature, it would run like it had a bad MAP and if shut off, it would refuse to start again.
If you have an ohm meter you may be able to measure the resistance difference in the CPS between cold and hot. It should read 200 +/- 75 ohms, but even CPS's with the proper ohms have been known to mess up.
My troubleshooting method was a little more primitive, it failed to start hot and I dumped a bottle of water on the CPS, started right up as soon as the CPS was cool.
Unplugging the CPS and plugging it back in has been known to help get one more start.

i am kinda new at all this and could be totally wrong but i would say if you try what has been talked about so far and that does not work. then it sounds to me like it could be a fule filter. I has the same problem in my turck back befoer i had my jeep it would idel and run fine but once you start to run a lot of fule through the filter it would clog up and then die. so just an idea if the others don't work, good luck.

i have a 94 Xj that would do the same thing! Puzzled me 4 weeks, but turns out the plug that goes to the coil would just work loose. wiggle it wnd it would fire right up! put some of that electric grease on the conectors and its been fine since! dontknow if thats ur prob but maybe it will help

It does have the symptoms of a thermal failure of the crankshaft position sensor. With no reference signal from this sensor, your engine will not have spark or fuel. Testing is a good idea but as already mentioned, for thermal failures like what you're seeing, it is possible that it will test good when cold and crap out when hot. Let us know what the result of changing the CPS is.....

If the problem relates to coil, you will have misfire which in your case none, so I don't think it's the coil. Most probable is the CPS or the PCM's capacitor needed to be replaced. If after the CPS replaced you still getting the same problem, I'm quite sure it's the PCM's capacitors. There are two capacitors in the PCM, you can get them at any radio shack shops. Need someone with knowledge in electronics thou..

I agree with the cps, with it idling and just driving around the yard the engine reaches normal temp but not the transmission. And then when you say it dies and doesn't restart until it's cooled off for a little while makes it sound even more like the cps.

Back