• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How far up does your clutch pedal engage?

RTFM

NAXJA Forum User
OK after some futzing around on my 89 I6 for far too long - I recently had the master cylinder, slave cylinder, fly wheel and clutch replaced.

(now I'm broke...)

My problem went from the clutch going from 0 to 100% engagement just a hair off the floor (with all the bad components) to almost full travel up and the last inch or two before the clutch is engaged.
(Am I making sense?)

The mechanic tells me because it's a hydraulic system there is no adjustment as to where the clutch pedal / clutch engages.
He says that it's completely OK for the engagement to be at the top (furthest away from the floor board) as opposed to a cable operated system where you can adjust the take up point.

True?

Or is he blowing smoke up my butt, and I'm to naive to know the difference?

It drives well now, pulls strong and no more slippage when I need to get to freeway speed in a hurry - so the work was done well.

Thanks as usual folks.

I was freaked out when I put my new clutch in, it grabs at the last second, a little hard to get used to though, from what I hear it's completely normal

doug

OK then - thanks for the replies guys.
I'll put my worrie stones away until my next problem.

Engaged at the last second on mine it was hard to get used to.

It is a long shot, but I have heard of clutch pedals bending. If it is bent downward it would cause engagement very low.

Just a thought.

Back