• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO2 Setup

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
I may be buying a 20# CO2 PowerTank with all the fixings from a local guy. My question is who here runs a 20 lb tank and mounts it in the rear? I don't really want such a big tank, but its a good deal. Is the tank too tall or too wide to fit on the spare tire bracket thing? Pics could be helpful too.
Thanks.

I mounted mine on its side up near the rear side window with a tank mount solidly bolted to the body and it dosent take up floor space and I have had alot of people asking "ya got nos in that thing" I will take a pic of it tommrow and post it.

If you can mount the bottle to the floor that would be best for a 20# bottle, but you could probably get it up in the air abit, here is my 10# for refrence.
IMG_3500.jpg

gijosiahh said:
I may be buying a 20# CO2 PowerTank with all the fixings from a local guy. My question is who here runs a 20 lb tank and mounts it in the rear? I don't really want such a big tank, but its a good deal. Is the tank too tall or too wide to fit on the spare tire bracket thing? Pics could be helpful too.
Thanks.

Here is my 10lb mounted where the spare was.Filled it is pretty heavy.I would not mount a filled 20lb in the same place imo.Better off to bolt it to the floor.

original.jpg

hmm. do you guys think a 20# tank is just too big? i only have 32s right now...will be going to 33s next and will be staying there for a while. i'd be getting the 20# comp series package ( http://www.powertank.com/products/productID/138 )brand new for $300. original price is like 580. so its definitely a good deal but i just dont know if a 20 lb tank is overkill and is just way too big for the back of a cherokee.
thanks for all the input.

gijosiahh said:
hmm. do you guys think a 20# tank is just too big? i only have 32s right now...will be going to 33s next and will be staying there for a while. i'd be getting the 20# comp series package ( http://www.powertank.com/products/productID/138 )brand new for $300. original price is like 580. so its definitely a good deal but i just dont know if a 20 lb tank is overkill and is just way too big for the back of a cherokee.
thanks for all the input.

I personally think its way too big just for tires

mine I usually fill my 10# 2 to 3 times a year but I dont have a compressor at home so I use it alot for air tools. a 20# is pretty big.

ive decided against the 20 lb tank. its just too much. i dont go wheeling nearly enough to make it worth it..and i wouldnt use it for air tools either. thanks for the help. i'll be going with a 10 pounder.

I run a 20# cylinder simply because the 5 and 10 pounders got used up too quickly when down in Moab or the Rubicon. When you're out for several days and running air tools and filling tires, seating beads, etc, it's nice to have the extra capacity. The other advantage is that welding shops will do a direct swap on 20# cylinders which they always have in stock. Buying anything smaller in size usually means having a custom fill which equates to higher cost and waiting for them to do it. Having a more common cylinder size means you walk in, walk out. Mine is mounted to the rear spare tire area. It sits on the floor butted up against the spare tire mount where the ARB compressor is located for the locker. I made a bracket and cradle for it and run two straps around it, one at the top, one at the bottom and it stays put very nicely. Add a 25' hose and I never have to remove it; I just fill from the rear location and can reach everything that would need co2. It literally takes up no more room than a smaller cylinder since the space is vertical.

mikedashg said:
You don't run it on it's side like that do you? You have to run them up and down... right? :D
yea I pull it out first it takes like 2 seconds to pull out then I dont have to carry around 20 ft of hose just have a small like 8ft coily hose.

NSW Sparky said:
yea I pull it out first it takes like 2 seconds to pull out then I dont have to carry around 20 ft of hose just have a small like 8ft coily hose.

Yeah, I store my flat too, and take it out to use it.

Back