• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A little trouple in the snow, Tranny?

dodo4bird

NAXJA Forum User
My 91 XJ started to make a noise on the way home, I live in vail and have not had a chance to get under the car and really look at it. It sounds like it was coming from the under my feet, maybe the front drive shaft?, I thought maybe I was stuck in 4WD, like a clunk sound , I check my lever on the 4WD and made sure it was up all the way, put it in 4WD and then back to 2WD and the noise was still there. I peaked under the car did notice a electircal plug haning from the passenger side of the transmission, I will not get to look at it untill the weekend just wondering if anyone could let me know what im getting myself into.

Is it an electrical plug or a vacuum line?

Do 91's have a vac disconnect?

I've seen those hanging down on rigs where the driver has no clue until something doesn't work, check it out.

It was electrical. And to my knowledge , which is minimal, there is a vacume hose. One more thing that MIGHT be important, it is a AX-15

I've had a few rattle/clunks under my feet lately. I've found a few things. 1-drivers side lca was a little loose around the bolt at the rear point of attachment, removed bolt and wrapped it a few times in aluminum tape and greased the joint and it's gone, 2- the tcase linkage can sometimes cause a rattle also, mine went away but I could feel the rattle when I held the shift lever. Drove me nuts, I couldn't track it down before it dissappeared. Hope this helps.

plug for auto trans Jeeps is left empty for manual-- probly just got knocked loose from it's hiding spot. As for noise, could be almost anything-- if it doesn't seem to affect the handling, I'd keep an eye on it and get to it this weekend

can you be a little more descriptive about the sound? continuous. constant, or does it increase with speed or rpm? happen while stopped, starting, stopping? frequency of sound? more like a ping sound or a thud sound, or a racheting sound?? That may help narrow it down. the more descriptive you get the better chance that someone can help narrow it down.

There is no noise when I am stopped. from about 10-35mph it is a clunk/thud sound, like I was rolling over something, when it first happend I thought my front driverside tire was going flat. Any faster than that I can not hear it or it goes away? Hope this helps

I found the problem, when a company tells you to re torque your lug nut on spacers you should do it, that was the sound, not to bad to figure out, worked in the tire industry for years never saw a loose rim but i never worked on wheel spacers before.

dodo4bird said:
I found the problem, when a company tells you to re torque your lug nut on spacers you should do it, that was the sound, not to bad to figure out, worked in the tire industry for years never saw a loose rim but i never worked on wheel spacers before.

of course you didn't see the loose rim-- it was miles away before it came off!:yelclap:

So I also stated that there was a electrical plug that was not connected to its female. It was zip tied to some tubes(I beileve tran vacume). It ran on the drives side of the transmission. Anyone know what that would have been?

Back