• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hi steer knuckles...steering?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well the waggy im building is almost done. got the gears and 5:13s being installed right now. truss is waiting to be burned home, and hubs/rotors for 5X5.5 pattern are on the way.

only thing left i have to make my mind up on is steering. im thinking i want to go with hi-steer. im not in any rush to really finish this since its not my DD, but id like to get it done so i can wheel. so ive been researching. ive been looking at some knuckles on ebay, and it seems you can run hi-steer with only 1 of the knuckles that have the 3 studs coming out the top. is that true, or do i need both. for now, id like to keep the stock inverted-t steering. it seems plenty strong for my use. is this possible, or do i need 2 knuckles with studs, and arms?

thanks

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the reason that some people are only selling one Hi steer knuckle at a time is because some vehicles came stock with a drilled and tapped Hi steer knuckle on one side and a non-flat top knuckle on the other. I noticed this while I was looking for high steer D-44 knuckles on a few Chevys at the junkyard.

Look at the webpage below:
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html

In the misconceptions section the guy describes some knuckles advertised on E-bay which were not what you would want to run to achieve Hi steer.

If you want to run inverted T you need 2 high steer knuckles and arms.

On the waggy, the TRE's are inserted from the top. most folks will add a true high steer arm on the passenger side, keep the flipped TRE in the stock location and run cross over steering with the drag link in the upper arm on the passenger side.

On the plus side the flipped tie rod is pretty high on the waggy front end, so unless you really need the extra 2 inches for say a ram, run the stock setup till it becomes an issue.

I got my HS knuckles and arms from parts mike.

steeringa.jpg

Back