• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another unit bearing gone, solutions?

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Well there are a few things that I know I can do...
-Fix the bearing, premium is $275 This will add up the talling over $500 for 3 bearing purchases (I was running mid grade)
-Warn hub kit but thats big $$$
-Swap the axle for something better (probably just as much as buying the warn kit BUT I would have a somewhat stronger front end)

Or

Does anyone know what the title of the thread was that buddy cut down a stock D30 and added CJ outters to it? That might be a somewhat cheap solution as well, and give me servicable bearings /w hubs

In the States whats the best Unit Bearing that money can buy? On the other side of the pond we have SKF, National and there is another one that is in the back of my mind. As well as premium inhouse brands such as Napa and Carquest.

I am getting sick of changing these things :doh:, lesson learned on buying cheaper parts :lecture:

What are you running for tires and rims? I know tires can have an effect on premature failure of the bearings. Bigger tires with less backspacing and or spacers create a leverage on the bearings and can be causing your problem. Just a thought.

Buy the ones with the warrenty.

Passenger side went back in June? It's still fine, the drivers side was replaced in August and now she's pooched. I called the shop I bought the bearing from, I'll have to visit him today and see what the scoop is with warrenty. I might only get a partial credit.

Better then nothing but this still sucks, it's not like they are hard to change but they are fn' expensive.

edit:
Both went bad when I was on stock rims and tires, you can do the swerve/rumble test and you can hear the difference over the noise the tires make.

Turning to the right you get the typical growl.... with the windows down you can here that "tick" noise it makes when it is really worn, almost sounds like a stone stuck in the thread.

I haven't jacked up the wheel and shook her yet but I am willing to bet dollars to donuts she is a goner lol. Already had to diagnose this problem twice, same symptoms the third time around I better not be wrong :D

I do all my own work...the only thing I think I could have done wrong is over or under torqued the axle nut... thats the only thing I can think of. I go by feel because I don't have a torque wrench, it certainly had some resistance it's not like it complete free spooled.

175ft lbs is the proper torque spec on a unit bearing correct? Maybe I should buy a torque wrench lol

Axle nut is 175ftlbs, then the hub to knuckle bolts are 75ftlbs and need to be tightened down evenly to ensure proper seating, so if this wasn't carefully done or over/under torqued axle nut this or just bad bearing is the best bet on the problem with the bearing deal here.

im suprized your going through bearings that fast only running 31s. i go through them pretty quick, but im running 35s. anything over a 33 starts putting a lot of stress on the bearings.

my solution. go to advance..spend a little extra coin, and every time i go through a bearing, i get a new one because they have a lifetime warranty. i think ive been through about 5-6, but im building a waggy 44 front so thatll fix it

I work for partsource (very similar to autozone). Unfortunately nobody to my knowledge offers a lifetime warrenty on bearings...otherwise that is the route that I would be taking.

J-Roc said:
I work for partsource (very similar to autozone). Unfortunately nobody to my knowledge offers a lifetime warrenty on bearings...otherwise that is the route that I would be taking.

wrong................

NAPA sells a replacement unit that has a lifetime warranty from what I remember.Also Autozone sells Timken units that are lifetime or one year from what I remember.Also the Timkens are only $175 .Timkens were the only thing I ran and never had a problem with them even when I was running 35's

I'll call my canuck napa... believe it or not they have different part numbers then you guys in the US. It's a crock of shit.

I have heard of the Timken bearings... I am just not sure where to purchase them on this side of the border.

I priced out some of my other options, you just can't win. I wish after the first bearing went I should have just sprung for the mile marker hub conversion :dunno:

edit:
Napa premium $320 12 month warrenty from date of purchase

Carquest premium $159.99 12 month warrenty w/ no modifications to the jeep = stupid but still a premium

Last edited:
Back