• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What a Find!!

D

David - Atlanta

I stopped by a local parts yard yesterday and found an older Cherokee (I was so excited about what was on it I forgot to check the exact year) that had axles fitted with 4.10 gears (again due to my excitement I'm not sure if the rear is a Dana 35 or 44). It's a late 80's model that was loaded. Factory tow package, off-road package with all skid plates and tow hooks still inplace, rear tire carrier, etc. The man said they normally get $150.00 per axles but would sell me BOTH axles for $250.00!!

I am picking up the axles tonight for placement on my '89 but I was wondering if the skid plates would bolt up to my 2000? I'll be putting the tow hooks on this vehicle and IF they will fit I will buy and use the skid plates on it as well.

TIA for the info.

OK, sorry for posting before doing a search. I found a thread that said it will fit!

This was such a good find I got really excited. :cool:

No factory Dana 44's came with 4.10's. It will be a Dana 35, which is a severe downgrade from your current (if so equipped) CryCo 8.25" rear axle. I would never replace an 8.25 with a Dana 35.

CRASH

Crash,
I may not have worded my original post correctly. The axles are for my '89 which has the 35 on it right now. So if that is what this other axle is then it's simply a swap and I get the gears I want in order to run 31's or 32's. I bought this vehicle new in '89 and purchased it with the off-road package so I already have factory skids on it but because of the 3.07 gears I have been postponing putting any lift on it. Now that it's no longer a daily driver, and with this gear ratio, I'll be ordering a lift and putting some lug loaded tires on it.:yelclap:

No factory Dana 44's came with 4.10's. It will be a Dana 35, which is a severe downgrade from your current (if so equipped) CryCo 8.25" rear axle. I would never replace an 8.25 with a Dana 35.

my Rubi, D44 has factory 4.10's

Yes, that is correct.

I'll modify my above statement with this caveat: No XJ 44's ever came from the factory with 4.10's.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Yes, that is correct.

I'll modify my above statement with this caveat: No XJ 44's ever came from the factory with 4.10's.

CRASH

No, some of the 1987 4-cylinder XJ's with the D44 came with 4.09's.

Hey me too! Usually all I find are a bunch of 3.55's and a few 3.73's. Found a 4.10 (30/35) the other day. Do you know the tooth count on the front? I thought they used 37-9's (4.11's), but this one's a 41-10 (4.10's). Not like it matters for much, just one of those little things. Think I'll pair it with a 9" rear that I found. Be a huge improvement over these damn 3.07's.

Static-XJ
Maybe you can teach me something here, mine has the same thing 41-10 on the 30 front. What does that mean? It also is NOT a diso 30, but it DOES have u-joints. Does this mean that it was replaced at some time or is it an original for the '86 year?

41-10 is the tooth count for the ring and pinion. 41 teeth on the ring gear, and 10 on the pinion. Divided the two to get the gear ratio: 4.10

37-9 is 4.11. I think the differences in tooth counts has somethign to do with strength vs quiet operation of the gears. Not sure though.

Back