• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil leak

mountainpoo

NAXJA Forum User
yesterday i sea foamed my 94 xj. im sure i did everything right. when i started it up this morning there was a medium size puddle of oil right under the oil filter. dont think it was from the sea foam. could it be the oil filter or the adapter even?

Adapter would be Number 1 suspect to me, I did mine last year, it was leaking so bad it was getting blown back under the floor pan. I would dry yours off and keep an eye on it just to be sure. The hardest bit is undoing the bolt that holds it to the block (there's not much room and it's on tight), when I put mine back together I used RTV on both mating faces just to be sure. I've done about 5,000 miles since and it's dry as a bone. I don't know why Chrysler used an O ring, I would have thought a gasket would have been much better, but what do I know.

Hope you like getting dirty, cuz the o-rings suck to replace. It was fun enough trying to find somewhere that sold a t60 socket that fit with a wrench on it. Question though (not trying to whore thread), After I did mine and the rear main seal it still leaks a little. It doesn't hit the ground, but leaks enough to wander to the bottom of the bell housing and then blow off at high speeds onto the tranny pan. Any ideas?

DanMan2k06 said:
Hope you like getting dirty, cuz the o-rings suck to replace. It was fun enough trying to find somewhere that sold a t60 socket that fit with a wrench on it. Question though (not trying to whore thread), After I did mine and the rear main seal it still leaks a little. It doesn't hit the ground, but leaks enough to wander to the bottom of the bell housing and then blow off at high speeds onto the tranny pan. Any ideas?
It might be your valve cover and not the RMS or oil filter adapter. I had the exact same problem in regards to a small leak running down my bell housing and I traced it to the back of the valve cover.

As far as the o-rings for the oil filter adapter, i found it to be quite easy and clean although my Waggy didn't need a torx bit to remove just a metric wrench (forget the size off the top of my head).

Yep. It is best to whipe everything down real good or pressure wash it to remove the old oil and gunk. It makes it easier to spot new leaks. I noticed mine looking from the passanger side by the fire wall. It was not alot of oil but it was moist enough to tell where it was coming from.

Back