• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good place to get a Ballast Resistor

Muad'Dib

NAXJA Forum User
Just as the thread title states, where is a good place to get a ballast resistor?
I know it can be bypassed, that's how i have it now.. the problem is at times that pump is one loud puppy! So i would like to replace my broken resistor.
The bigger problem is, when i go to the parts store the ballast resistor they supply me with is not the correct one. It looks almost exactly the same as the original one, except if you measure the resistance, its 5.3 OHMS!! The factory part is only 1.1 OHMS. There is no way these ones will work!
Anyway, just wondering where you guys get yours, or if i should just go to the dealer.

Thanks

Last edited:
MiNi Beast said:
The Ballistic resistor you need is- GP Sorensen #GCR7 AutoZone or Napa

:sure:

Strange it doesnt pull up on either of their online sites.
Napa does list one, but they call it an Ignition coil resistor... wtf! Looks exactly the same as the partsamerica one that i have already tried...
Autozone doesnt list anything.
Just doing a generic google search also pulls up nothing.

If your counterman is fairly swift, you can just tell him what resistance you need and how many terminals (two-terminal 1.1 ohm, from what you're saying) and he can do the rest.

Most countermen aren't swift anymore.

But, it's a fairly standard part - typical ballast resistors are done in about four resistance values, and some early ChryCo ballasts are two resistors in one package (four terminals.)

Don't bother with Radio Shack - they don't have resistors with high enough power ratings. I think they top out at about two watts - ballasts are typically up around 25 watts or so.

@MiNiBeast - it's a "ballast" resistor, not a "ballistic" resistor. It's only "ballistic" when you get cranked off and throw the thing as far as you can - it then follows a "ballistic flight path...":gag: Just thought I'd let you know.

5-90 said:
If your counterman is fairly swift, you can just tell him what resistance you need and how many terminals (two-terminal 1.1 ohm, from what you're saying) and he can do the rest.

Most countermen aren't swift anymore.

But, it's a fairly standard part - typical ballast resistors are done in about four resistance values, and some early ChryCo ballasts are two resistors in one package (four terminals.)

Don't bother with Radio Shack - they don't have resistors with high enough power ratings. I think they top out at about two watts - ballasts are typically up around 25 watts or so.

@MiNiBeast - it's a "ballast" resistor, not a "ballistic" resistor. It's only "ballistic" when you get cranked off and throw the thing as far as you can - it then follows a "ballistic flight path...":gag: Just thought I'd let you know.

Never notice that. I quoted it from different tech site so never really paid that much attention to it. Sorry English is my second language.:moon:

:laugh2: :thumbup:

MiNi Beast said:
Never notice that. I quoted it from different tech site so never really paid that much attention to it. Sorry English is my second language.:moon:

:laugh2: :thumbup:

No worries - I just thought it might be something you'd like to know...

Any part can be "ballistic" - depends on how hard you throw it!:gee: :badpc:

I always wondered if the fuel pump would be damaged without the resistor inline.....I have always heard jeep installed it after noise conscience customers complained about the fuel pump noise.

outlander said:
I always wondered if the fuel pump would be damaged without the resistor inline.....I have always heard jeep installed it after noise conscience customers complained about the fuel pump noise.

No. It was added in 1988 after NVH complaints (my 1987 never had one) and was a "voluntary recall" for 1987 MY XJ/MJ w/4.0L. As I recall, the fuel pump was exactly the same for 1987-1990 (at least,) so you won't damage anything.

Essentially, the ballast limits current to the pump slightly so that it doesn't run quite as quickly or as strongly, and that keeps noise down. That's why just about every ballast resistor you'll see is five ohms or less - it's a current limiter, not a "resistor" per se. By adding a touch more resistance to a circuit, you can limit the current flowing through critical components for various reasons.

I just don't understand it tho - if you want "quiet," buy a Lincoln or a Caddy.

no doubt!!!I'm thinking of deleting my ballast resitor and all the wiring that goes to it all together.Noise isn't much of a concern to me because its hard to hear anything over the growl of the swampers anyway:laugh3:

Back