• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 xj

KeithJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 1986 xj, im looking to do some upgrades but dont know much about theses. Will the d30/8.25 from a 93 xj bolt up to mine? or will there be some fab work needed?

Im almost positive ive got the np229, and im thinking the viscous coupler is out in it. What is the best tc swap i can go with?

Id also like to do away with the 2.8, whats going to be the best swap... 4.0?

Those axles will bolt in yes, make sure you get the rear driveshaft with the 8.25.

If you think you want to swap motors and your rig is still stock, sell it and buy one with a 4.0. Its *WAY* expensive and difficult to do a swap and get it emissions legal again.

You do engine swaps when you have a built rig that your 2.8 gives up on, and you don't want to start over. If you really did want to do a swap, you'd want to do a chevy 4.3 vortec v6.

its going to be trail only not concerined about it being road legal. Im sure ill keep the 2.8 for awhile but would still like to plan ahead for when it does go.

Right now it will not run in 4lo, it just makes a really weird sound when i engage it, so im thinking the v.c in the tcase is out. So id like to find a simple tc swap for it. will the 228 bolt in no problems?

It should, assuming the yokes on the transfer case are correct (iirc some of the older ones were not cv).

For your swap, seriously though, you'll want to start by getting a running rig with the engine you want to swap in. You'll need everything - engine, trans, fuel delivery, exhaust, mounts, electrical, ecu, tcu, cooling system.

Its less work to start with the donor jeep and part out the 2.8l.

Thanks for the advice but for now ill see where this goes, im not too conserned with it, i got it really cheap from a friend and just intend to do alittle at a time. I not in a real big hurry on it, ive still got my yj that i wheel.

omg! welcome my fellow 2.8l brother!now there are three of us on here...

ahhh now all the 2.8 show there support...hey guys,we should start our own little group on here. what you guys think...dont want to be a post high jacker but... does a kand n air filter make a difference on these engines?

85xjproject said:
omg! welcome my fellow 2.8l brother!now there are three of us on here...

Now there's 4. I love my little 2.8. putt putt

Picture094.jpg

if the vc is bad and you can't find a suitable replacement, or don't want to, it's not that hard to "pin" the vc; some people have run them that way for quite a while without issue. there were some good write-ups at ifsja.org on that subject.

I say keep the 2.8. And more then likely you have the np207 TC. Thats what most of them came with and its a good TC. I love the gears in mine. I got mine bone stock w/ 152K miles in 2005. Oh btw I have an 86 XJ. LAST of the AMC XJs.

100_1036.jpg

xxmidianxx said:
I say keep the 2.8. And more then likely you have the np207 TC. Thats what most of them came with and its a good TC. I love the gears in mine. I got mine bone stock w/ 152K miles in 2005. Oh btw I have an 86 XJ. LAST of the AMC XJs.

100% sure its selec-trac just not sure if ive got the 228 or the 229. Ill know for sure tomorrow.

I have a 2.8L 86 also working on putting a AX5 in it out of a camanchie. I drove mine to Moab (1500 miles one way) a couple years ago with the auto burnt out the reverse. I wouldent want to change motors they only used the 2.8 for 3 years ;) . and I plan to change to propane after I get a stable job.

by the way you cant easily swap a 4.0 in the 2.8Bay. They had to heavily change the firewall and the grill to get the monster 4.0 in the bay. it would be alot chaper to just buy one with a 4.0
Cap002579.jpg

Cap002571.jpg

Back