• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1310 ubolt pinion yoke

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
About to regear a new D30. Figure might as well swap in a ubolt yoke.

Let me see if i have this straight....

ANY D44 (Chevy, Ford, Waggy, IH) with ubolt yoke will be a 1310 ujoint and work with my HP D30 and XJ 44 rear?

Also, there will be no need to readjust pinion preload on eith the D30 or the D44 as neither use a crush sleeve?

TIA...

I currently have a u-bolt yoke from a cj d44 on my d30. I just removed the pinion nut, tapped the old yoke off, reinstalled the new one and torqued it down to spec.

I'm not too sure on the crush sleeve though.

At the absolute minimum, I pull the discs (or drums) off and do an inch pound torque test on the suicide nut (to check existing preload). Then test what I have after torquing the nut back on.
If the bearings are too tight they are going to heat up and die. If they are too loose the pinion is going to wobble and at the minimum the seal is going to fail. Or worse you are going to pick up a roar.
I tend to get annal about how tight (preload) my bearings are.

Last edited:
And, no, all D44 yokes are not 1310's.

CJ D-30 yokes were U-bolt style on the older models, also. I have them on most of my XJ/MJ collection. CJ yokes seem to be easier to find, and cheaper too.

Back