• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are these wheels ok for wheelin

Some people swear by them due to weight savings, but many others stay away from aluminum wheels for a trail rig. I've seen hard hits on rocks actually break chunks off of aluminum wheels, whereas steel will bend and can be straightened. Unless you bring a tig welder and the skills to use it on the trail, you don't even have the option to repair an aluminum wheel. I've spent time in camp dismounting the bead of a tire to straighten out a bent steel wheel, and they've always held air afterwards.

Food for thought...

I'm not a big fan of aluminum wheels on a trail rig. They don't tend to hold the bead like a steel wheel does.

I ran aluminum on the trail for about 6 years. They had several chunks taken out of them. Switched to steel, and yes they bend, but you can hammer them back out.

Now I have beadlocks. Problem solved.

Ya thats what i thought I don't want broken.

I am not a big 4x4 guy mostly cars Have had 4x4 but mostly pavment pounders or light trail action. This is the first porpose built trail rig I am very excited and want it as reliable as it can get.

More questions to come

Thanks

Not true. Even if it was, how much money are those rigs sponsored every year too cover the cost of a new set of wheels every weekend?

Follow Karl's advice, very solid.

Back