• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Full Pack Question.

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well over 2 years ago when i put my lift on, i opted to just rebuild my stock leaf packs, and it came out looking good and ended up sitting higher than the front. Well now im wanting to get some new full packs, instead of adding shackles to my current packs. Now you would think my simple solution would to buy some new full packs, but i found out it seems the bolt on the frame side is frozen. I even had some guys at a local 4wd shop give it a try with air tools and nothing. So they said something about cutting it out and then re welding it. So is that my only option? what else can i do? I want to get rid of these stiff leaf packs and opt for some new ones.

How long did you use p b on your bolts?I used alot of wd40 when doing mine, it always been here in cal, made it nice..Just spray twice a day..Then try to remove after 3 or 4 days...

I used PB blaster for a couple days. I mean the guys at the shop told me that it was frozen inside the bushing. So i dunno, trying to figure this out so i know what i need to do.

Keep spraying them.. Plus next time you try too remove them, tighting first some time helps... Just hit it for a second or two forward.. that helps some time.....If you can't get them out that way, then saw jaw is going to be your friend.. Cut the bolt on the side of leaf springs.. This will let the springs to come out, then just remove the cut bolt out of frame rail

When I did my Shackles I had to cut out the old bolts.then I just hit the bolts with a braising torch an monkey wrench they came out it just took 2 day to complete

Well i just did some research. Seems like i could be looking into a lot of trouble....More than its worth. I mean im guessing if a 4wd shop with air tools couldn't get it out, im going to have to do alot of cutting and this is my DD, so it cant be out of service.

I live in CA with no salt, snow, and little rain and even my bolts that had only been in there for 2 years were a pain. I used PB for a week before I even tried. Then it ended up taking a 3ft braker bar and help from a friend.

I have run into this a couple of times. Is the bolt actually turning and just rusted to the steel sleeve in the bushing? If so what I did was get a zip cut blade on an angle grinder or get a sawzall and cut the bolt on either side of the bushing. Then remove the leaf spring and drill out the bolt if you are reusing the old spring. If not just get a new bolt and install the new spring. The bolt that is left in the unibody should be loose enough that you can remove it with some vice grips. If the bolt is siezed into the nut then grab a hole saw and cut a hole in the unibody try to get a nut breaker on and break the nut. When done weld a piece of steel over the hole to regain any strength that might have been lost. Hope some of this helps you out.

Back