• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front wheel noise/ Engine starting problems

jones95xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so my front driver side wheel is making a howling and grinding noise. It really bad when I'm turning right. What could this be? It is also popping when i turn the wheel when backing up.

On another note, I'm having starting issues. It starts fine first time, but let say i go maybe 2 miles and turn it off. It will not start again. I have to go under the hood and start it from what seems like a fuse box under the hood. What is the cause of this problem.

Thanks for your help..

Last edited:
I would say that your rotor or pads are worn down too far on the driver side. Most likely you will just need to get new brake pads. Easy.

The popping sound could possibly be the sound of the caliper moving if its loose. Take off your tire and see if you can wiggle it.

The starting is a whole new can of worms and I could even begin to offer much more than an opinion. And you know what they say about that.

Hope this helps a bit.

I'm inclined to think that the caliper has come loose and/or the pads aren’t the right size or they were not shimmed.

We're going to need more details on the starting problem.

Do you mean that when hot, it cranks over fine but doesn't start? Or does it not even crank over? And exactly what do you mean by "start it from what seems like a fuse box under the hood". If it doesn't happen when cold, then something is probably suffering from thermal failure.

Its starts fine it’s in been ran for 15 to 25 min. But if I take a short trip of 2 to 5 miles it will not start. There is no crank at all, no noises. I have even tried to start in neutral but nothing.

As for the thing i use to start it, I will take a picture tomorrow.

My '95 used to do the same thing. I carried a hammer in the back to tap the battery terminals as I thought the corrosion was the issue. I was also 16 and didn't know which end of the wrench to hold... Thinking back, the vibes from me hitting the battery might have shaken a dirty starter into freeing itself again. Modern starters use magnets instead of windings, but if you wheel, crap is going to get into all sorts of unlikely places. Clean that sucker up and try again. I'm assuming you still get power (headlights, radio, etc) but no crank, right?

This what i was talking about where i start it from.

Jeep001.jpg

Jeep002.jpg

I start it from the uncovered one its the start relay
Jeep004.jpg

close up
Jeep003.jpg

either that relay is bad, or your NSS is failing, or your ignition switch is failing. Because it it after a short trip, I'd think NSS or ignition switch, as the relay shouldn't be getting hot after it starts-- only gets electricity when it's cranking.

Back