• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Everything you never knew you didn't know about BEER!

wingnutooa

NAXJA Forum User
this is 1 of our 3 buildings (1/2 full) at only 1 of our facilities.

our plant in washington has warehouses up into the teens.

each warehouse holds approx. 8000 bales.

this doesnt include our competitors warehouse space.

breakdown of a hop bale (industry average)

One bale of hops = 200 pounds

brewing ratio per barrel = 0.165 pounds (31 gallons)

One Bale = 1,212.1 Barrels
2,424.2 Kegs
16,705.6 Cases
33,411.1 1/2 Cases
66,822.2 6 Packs
400,933.3 12 oz. Bottles

To drink 1 bale of hops:

one barrel per day = 3.3 years
one keg per day = 6.6 years
one case per day = 45.8 years
one 12 pack/day = 91.5 years
one 6 pack / day = 183.1 years
one 12 oz. bottle = 1,098.4 years

average of 50,000 bales produced in oregon yearly = 20,046,666,666.7 12.oz Bottles

My trusty steed when i'm not driving the jeep!

some how this one got inducted into the OOA. i didnt even know we had a "forklift division"

and look!!! this must be for some special beer, made just for one of the naxja members!

FYI washington has more acreage than oregon!!!!

and idaho grows too!

america must be a bunch of alcoholics!

Now I need a drink:cheers:

So, does this mean the shortage is over?

My main homebrew supplier had almost none of their usual good selection for a while, but now they have most varieties, at up to $6/ounce!

Edit: just checked, Chinook is $7/ounce for pellets...

there was a world wide shortage of hops this year.

i dont see hop prices going down for atleast 2/3 years

growers are trying to contract out as far as 2013 to lock the good prices.

price for willamette's peaked a few months ago at 10 or 12 a pound.

that makes for over 2000 $ for 1 bale of hops. but there werent any available to be bought. basically if you had un contracted hops you could ask whatever you wanted for them.

if said brewer wanted to stay in business bad enough he'd pay it.

Those must be for my batch of special dark "do not pasteurise" beer...

I honestly don't mind beer overseas - they don't cook all the flavour out of it. Honestly - I've yet to meet a germ that can live in a solution of ethanol. If there is one, it deserves a chance...

IMG_2077.jpg

Dunno who did this, the house was built in the 20's. Somebody somewhere between 1920 and 1980 loved their wine.

I'll be hosting a brewfest after I get back....
Wondering if I can score a pound of each....:cheers:

I promise it would go to a good cause...

John

There was no internet back then. I forgive them. :)

edit: I actually Googled the generic beginning and there were roughly 30 variations. Where'd you get your quote?

YAY Beer Partay at our house! Dunno when but, hubz will keep ya'll informed I am sure. Now, the real question is.....How much can I stock up on to surprise hubz?

I personally like the wheat beers - hops esp the cascade is too bitter for me, i love my homemade Cherry Wheat and Hefeweizen(sp?):cheers:

Hubz will brew the beer and I will cook Potato Soup and grill some steaks and my "famous" chicken!

Luckys Lady said:
YAY Beer Partay at our house! Dunno when but, hubz will keep ya'll informed I am sure. Now, the real question is.....How much can I stock up on to surprise hubz?

I personally like the wheat beers - hops esp the cascade is too bitter for me, i love my homemade Cherry Wheat and Hefeweizen(sp?):cheers:

Hubz will brew the beer and I will cook Potato Soup and grill some steaks and my "famous" chicken!

you should try willamettes.

it is a great aroma hop and happens to be budweiser's hop of choice. (no i'm not promoting bud. i dont drink the stuff)

they mix in some glaciers or something or other here and there but we have a warehouse solely dedicated to A-B hops right now its its 98% willamettes.

i think coors uses chinooks but thats only when they want to. (they're bad about changing their recipe with the snap of a finger)

Back