• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doors in WA

muddymopar

NAXJA Forum User
hey does anyone know what the laws are in WA on doors and mirrors, if i take the doors off and rig up some mirrors am i good to go or what? dont know if it matters but i am in the everett area

A buddy of mine was pulled over in his Ford Ranger when he removed his doors. Cop said something about having a 4" lip at the bottom of the door frame to protect things from flying out, and mirrors were required. Don't remember exactly the rules but it was something along those lines.

This question came up a few weeks ago and I believe the actual requirments were posted at that time? Do a search and you can read the whole thread.

The basics are this. If your vehicle came with doors from the factory then they are required. So they are required in an XJ (I am not sure if you can get away with an aftermarket style door or not?).

You also need a minimum of two rear view mirrors (1 inside, and 1 outside).

Michael

2xtreme said:
You also need a minimum of two rear view mirrors (1 inside, and 1 outside).

Michael

I believe it is just one mirror, and it needs to be on the drivers side. Ive seen older box vans/trucks with no rear view and just the drivers side mirror.

As far as doorless, you can only go doorless if the vehicle was made with removable doors(IE: YJ, TJ, LJ, other vehicles). That is one reason I run half doors. I havent got pulled over or a ticket for having them, yet.(knock on wood).

CanMan said:
I believe it is just one mirror, and it needs to be on the drivers side. Ive seen older box vans/trucks with no rear view and just the drivers side mirror.

I am not certain what the details are, however I know for a fact that you need two mirrors. I once got a fix it ticket for this specifically.

Michael

2xtreme said:
I am not certain what the details are, however I know for a fact that you need two mirrors. I once got a fix it ticket for this specifically.

Michael
x2. The law is that you must have two rearwared facing mirrors. They can be inside or outside (think about a truck with a camper, the inside mirror is useless), but there has to be two.

-----Matt-----

CanMan said:
As far as doorless, you can only go doorless if the vehicle was made with removable doors(IE: YJ, TJ, LJ, other vehicles).

True. I was issued a fix it ticket from a WSP officer a couple years ago for running doorless. The state WAC codes say almost exactly what Eli said above.

Oregon is a lawless, backwards state. Therefore, You can run your Jeep just like your donkey cart.

:kissyou: I keed, I keed!

mud1059 said:
That's what happens when hippy cali folk vote democrat in WA.

when does hippy huntuing season start?

Just North of you guys, xj's must keep there doors on its a $750.00 fine, Jeeps that are designed to go doorless must have a sticker indicating they are designed to run without doors, and mirrors are a must. I work at a provincial inspection facility and I spoke with our (dot officer) and half doors are also not legal on xj's. Though he did say that most officers would let it slide as long as the latches/controls worked and there is no protruding metal

Ba-Riedo said:
Its year round in bellingham...:wierd:

-Alex

I'll go get my paintball gun :looney:

Ba-Riedo said:
Screw that, they will find it artistic and actually like you more if you tag them.:loveu:

-Alex
not if you freeze em first :firedevil

i was planning on doing a set of half doors originally.

but ended up scavenging a bunch of parts off of my spare doors.

if you do half doors and retain your stock latch and hinge setup you should be WELL within the guidelines of the vehicle code.

Back