• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotella from the horses mouth.

Stumpalump

NAXJA Forum User
I just got off the phone with Richard Moore, Shell lubrication engineer. Rottella T synthetic CI4 is 1400 ppm zink. The stuff comming out, CJ4 is 1200 ppm zink. Regular pre 2000 oil was 1200 ppm so the new Rotella is as good as the old oil as far as zink goes. It has a host of other improvments that make it bettter than even the CI4 Rotella T synthetic. It's a group 3 oil and Moble 1 is group 4. As far as bang for the buck goes in a great high zink oil then Rotell T is king. Zink works only above 500 degrees on hot spots. It creats an alloy on your engine bearings or tappets that are very hard and reduce ware. Once you engine is broken in then high levels of zink are not as necessary. I also learned that the zink goes away and gets used up fast. So on a new engine frequent oil changes with fresh zink are needed untill all the high spots on the engine are broken in and converted to the alloy. He lost me on the hydrocarbon chains and super chemistry stuff but but he sent me a link to the new CJ4 oil and belives that the million mile engine reports will turn to reports of 2 million mile engines when they start with the new CJ4 Rotella T synthetic. It's still a diesel oil so it comes with a ton of detergent and other addatives to keep dirt suspended and carbon at bay. I'd say if you switch to the high detergent stuff then let it work and clean for a while and then drain it. It like moble 1 will loosen and clean junk from an old engine and you need to get that junk out before you extend the drain interval.
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rotella-en&FC2=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/press_release_2006/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/press_release_2006/cj-4_triple_1006.html

Interesting. Isn't the Rotella T triple protection only available in 15W-40?

Good summary of info. I have run Rotella-T mixed with Mobile 1 synth (2 parts Rotella, 1 part Mobile 1) in my stroker for a couple of years, and contrary to all the internet hype, I have not experienced a failure of my Crane cam... I have only been able to find it in the 15-40 flavor, but mixed with 5-30 Mobile 1 I figure my viscosity is about right...

BruceB83 said:
Interesting. Isn't the Rotella T triple protection only available in 15W-40?
It's funny he did mention that when flat tappets were common the #1 choice was 10w-40 so going to 15W50 is not much of a change. It's actually better because the newer engins run hotter. Mobil one recomended thats all I run unless I live where it's below zero often. Plus I would put the flow characteristics of a 15w40 or 50 synthetic over a 10w40 anyway because it basically what synthetic was designed to do. Flow better.

Good info, thanks Stump. I was wondering about Rotella T since I had heard good things about it in the past, and I can buy it pretty cheaply by the case from Costco.

Do you perhaps mean, Zinc???

Daedalus454 said:
, and I can buy it pretty cheaply by the case from Costco.
I thought the same thing buying it by the case from BJ's club for the powerstroke until I actually did the math and found out its cheaper to buy it by the bottle from walmart.

Thanks for that Mike. Now to find the MSDS for the stuff. LOL

BTT

I have a jug of Rotella-T 15w40 triple protection and a jug of Rotella-T 0w40 synthetic in the back of the heep waiting for it's next oil change. Figure I'll probably run a 50/50 blend of the two on the next change and see what happens. I'm having a hard time getting a Wix filter right now, though.

I usually order my Wix filters from RockAuto.com

I just got the Rotella T 15W-40 for my next change tomorrow. Kind of silly question, but this is synthetic right? So did they say how long to go in between oil changes when using this stuff? It's going in a motor with 235k on it and I'm not too concerned about seaps because it will be rebuilt sometime this year anyways.

BruceB83 said:
I just got the Rotella T 15W-40 for my next change tomorrow. Kind of silly question, but this is synthetic right? So did they say how long to go in between oil changes when using this stuff? It's going in a motor with 235k on it and I'm not too concerned about seaps because it will be rebuilt sometime this year anyways.

No 15w40 is not synthetic.

Back