• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA/UCA Bushings Shot... CLUNK

KJT95Country

NAXJA Forum User
:eek: So I've got a clunk on the front left when hitting speed bumps or hard dips in the road. I replaced the sway bar bushings (completely shot) thinking this would help, but no deal.

My next step is replacing the LCA's and possibly the UCA. The jeep is @ stock height now but will get 2-3" of lift this spring for light offroading.

Should I go with aftermarket control arm's or are stockers adequate at that height?

Also - any other suggestions on parts to check/replace while I have it on a lift?

Aftermarket CAs aren't totally necessary for a 2-3" lift, but they'd be a hell of a lot easier than trying to replace bushings in the stock CAs!!!

I don't think i'd bother trying to salvage the control arms, just replace them.

from quadratec:
p24653c.jpg

2 lowers @ $19.99 + 2 bushings @ $6.99

24653-lg.jpg

2 uppers @ $29.99 + busing @ $6.99

any links for good aftermarket arms in that price range ($130 + shipping for above stock setup)

Last edited:
KJT95Country said:
any links for good aftermarket arms in that price range?

not a chance.

my RE superflex adjustble lowers were around $220 and upper were around $200.

rustys or RC will be the least expensive

ChrisRFewell said:
torch the bushings out and greas the new ones in there...

literaly just torch 'em out with a propane torch? or would I need something stronger?

then just grease and press the new bushings in?

looking at quadratec, the daystar bushing kits are about $70 (+ the bolts that will break in the process :looney:), would the extra effort be worth the $60 difference?

edit: edit(math): the stock ones are only $7.00 a piece, meaning it could theoretically be a sub $60 project?

its much easier and for not much more money to just buy new oem arms than pressing in new bushing into old oem arms.

It's always good to have MAP (spelling) gas on hand- burns about 90% hotter than propane...costs about $7-9 per bottle.
You will probably also want to get an adjustable trac bar or consider re-drilling your existing when you lift it to ensure your front axle remains centered.

write up.

block off front and back wheels so it doesnt roll at all.
remove bolts
remove arms
replace arms
reinstall bolts

Also, are you sure it's the CA bushings making the noise?? How are the shocks and their bushings? How about the ball joints? How about the trac bar?

Also, are you sure it's the CA bushings making the noise?? How are the shocks and their bushings? How about the ball joints? How about the trac bar?

not sure, but visual inspection of the bushings shows that they're pretty clapped out.

Shocks are less than 2 years old, bushings seem fine

Whats the best way to check the ball joints and the trac bar?

not sure, but visual inspection of the bushings shows that they're pretty clapped out.

Shocks are less than 2 years old, bushings seem fine

Whats the best way to check the ball joints and the trac bar?
Over a year old but bringing it back form the dead.... +1 on the trackbar and ball joint check.

Pick N Pull. Uppers and lowers for 25 bucks with bushing already pressed. Find a clean xj and there you are. Then save for a nice set or keep your eye on the for sale section. Plus you get to learn how to remove them on a junker.
to_become_senile.gif

Back