• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what your favorite gas tank skid?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am finally looking to getting my gas tank protected. I wanna do it one time only, so I think the factory skid is out. Getting ready for a week of wheeling in Kentucky, and this is about the last thing I need.

Obviously, I am looking for the best bang for the buck, not the most expensive.

I have a 97 4dr, with factory hitch.

Thanks guys.

I like the one from DPG Offroad...

JNickel101 said:
I like the one from DPG Offroad...

x2. Fits with my rear Rigid bumper. Excellent quality and customer service.

OK, I think DPG is awesome, ordered lots of stuff from Dirk. I have not researched Gas tank skids yet at all, but I guess I was hoping to spend less than that.

Whats the next best choice that is less $ ?

With that said, I will likely order the DPG, I just don't wanna regret it later when I see a more affordable option.

Thanks Guys!

DPG! Perfect fit and mega beefy!

hmmm, should be an unwritten rule to link to manufacturer, retailer, etc when initially promoting something. just a thought.

same boat for me here. DPG looks good: 3/16" and on sale @ $290 +s/h. http://www.dpgoffroad.com/gas_tank_skid.htm
gastankskid.jpg

I have skid row. It's not bad, but the mounting tabs are smaller, and mine are tweaked. I wish it had mounts that ran the whole length of the skid like DPG. Other than that, it's great. I've come down really really hard on it, and the mounts are only a little tweaked. The gas tank doesn't leak, and still holds ~18-20 gallons or so!

I dont feel that a tank skid is as important on a 97+ HDPE tank... just my opinion though. I'm not running one and have only scraped the tank one time.. I am in planning on a fuel cell in the near future but still wheel it as is for now..

EDIT: espeically if you're going to retain the factory hitch

i have the 97+ stock skid on my 99 and it is a very nice piece - i got it from a member her for 50 and got some scrap 1/8 and reinforced the bottom - pretty beefy and a great way to go - it has a lot of reinforced lips and ribs but is not completley boxed on all 4 sides - it also is 1/8 to begin with (or some gauge close to it) and is stamped

i got a stock skid for my 89 from the junk yard for $40.

as mentioned, if you need a lot of strength, it can be reinforced.

Back