• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Gasket parts list questions...

crashxxx

NAXJA Forum User
well looks like my worst scenerio is the case. seems to be a minor leak into the #1 cylinder when it's cold. i say the # because that's where my misfire code is being tripped. once warmed up to operating temp it doesn't smoke at all.. that tells me it's real minimal. a leak is a leak unfortunately and i s'pose it has to be done :(

question is .. gaskets, other than the head set, intake and exhaust manifold set and a set of head bolts, will there be anything else I'll need before tearing into this thing?

I really don't want to put the money into the thing but it's pretty well worth nothing needing a head gasket if I were just to sell it as it sits :explosion

btw.. it's a 98 cherokee with 184000 km's on it... problem is with the cold cold temps we are getting up here I won't be touching the job until it warms up plenty outside :bawl:

I just replaced the head on my jeep, you'll need the head gasket set, you can reuse the bolts once but for the cost i replaced mine, put in a new thermastat while your at it and definately have your head checked by a good machinist. they can also put in new stem seals and check valve seats. but dont just put the head back on without knowing it is good.

what makes you think the head gasket is blown. does it push coolant out of the radiator or does it have low compression. i would check for a leaking fuel injector first. or maybe a valve hanging up.

rad cap was pushing out coolant, i resolved that be fixing the tabs lip the cap twists onto.

it smokes a bunch when cold on start for around 1 - 3min, not blue oil smoke, white smoke. once warmed up no smoke and runs at normal temp

definitely sounds like a leaky head gasket(or cracked head). i myself wouldn't go through all that work and NOT resurface the head, even if they just take a very small amount off to give the gasket a nice, new surface.

I just changed the head gasket on my 2.5 jeep. The part store carrys a head gasket kit, everything you need. I cleaned up the head bolt and put teflon tape them.
Is there anitfreeze in your oil? kinda looks like light choclate pudding? mine was.

Back