• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Disc Backing Plate Question

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wrapping up my 8.8 swap, and I'm wondering about the backing plates/dust shields on it.

Mine are kind of beat up(the rotors don't rub or anything), and it seems like they would just trap crap between them and the rotor..

Any experience with this?

I didn't take it apart, but it seems like the backing shield thing is seperate from the caliper bracket...

So.. dust shields or not?

There are 4 bolts holding on the caliper bracket, and 2 rivits holding on the dustshield.

Come to think of it, you may need the dustshield to hold on the ebrake hardware.

I didnt pay close attention when disassembling it.

Ill have to look tomorrow.

Havent looked at mine for awhile,but arent the E-brakes part of the backing plates?

RCP Phx said:
Havent looked at mine for awhile,but arent the E-brakes part of the backing plates?

Dust shields are riveted to the backing plates. You can remove the dust shields with no problems.
Yes, the Ebrake does use the backing plate.

Well I just looked(not installed),the dust shields ARE the backing plates for the E-brakes!They provide the "resting" pads for the shoes and the shoe retaining pins.

Thanks for the replies guys. Just went out and looked, and aside from looking like I'll need to remove the 4 bolts to remove the dust shield after drilling out the rivets, I'll also need to remedy the e-brake stuff. So I guess they stay, thanks again.

I don't think we're all on the same page with this.

Dust shields can be removed with no problems, no big deal. You don't need to remove the backing plate to remove them either. Drill the rivets out first. Then use tin snips to cut through them and just bend them off.

Back