• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj tranny nightmare

redsxj85

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 cherokee with an asian-warner automatic tranny. I am expierencing two things. first, on startup it likes to hold first gear. it is worst on cold days.
second. It either sometimes wont go into lock-up or wont go in to lock-up after the kick down has taken it out, mostly on the highway. I have gotten a tcc circuit malfunction code in the past but not recently. both problems are intermittent. I have put a set of selonoids in and changed fluid and filter.

my thoghts are either tps, or valve body, but I hate throghing parts at something to diagnose.any guidance:gee:

I'd test the TPS first; you can do so with a high impedance meter. I think you'll find a procedure in most manuals, my Chilton's shows one but I don't have access to my FSM at the moment. TPS problems are linked to some pretty strange tranny issues.

well heres the update, after a service theres no more 1st gear holding. but occasionally it dosent go in to lockup. I put the shifter in neutral and coast for a few seconds, put it back in gear and it works fine. any speculation???

that almost sounds like the TCU thinks you are not in Drive...moving to neutral and back to Drive kind of resets the connection in the Range sensor switch...maybe it needs to be cleaned?

here is a link describing how to clean the NSS (Range sensor switch...same thing)
When it fails, the usual sympton is your vehicle will not start because it does not sense your shift selector in Park or Neutral, or another sympton is your reverse backup up lights wont light up... I am wondering if yours is not allways clearly sensing that you are in Drive, and that when you shift into neutral and back to drive it clears your problem...just guessing...

http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp

if you search on NSS* you will find many threads to read about servicing this switch

thanx ill try that. I got deep into it with the scanner and found the tps was sending the engine a 19% at idle and the tranny a 0%. (it was in my conflicts menu in pathfinder) so I replaced it and force reset all parameters. it seems better but we'll see.

well it wasn't the tps, so I cleaned the NSS and it seemed better for a little while,less often. now it will still do it but every time I can pop it in neutral and it recovers, that is if I can catch it before it throws a light. part of the nss seemed worn I might have to replace it.

Also on some models (1987 wagoneer)the brake light switch has a extra connector to unlock the converter and disengage cruize. might check that.

Back