• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grand cherokee seats

redneck1939

NAXJA Forum User
ok i found grand cherokee power seats for a good price i know they will bolt in but my question is how would i get the power seats to work? i have a 89 xj and my seats are not powered (if that helps at all) i did seach but havent found what im looking for any help would be appreciated

-joey

I have ZJ seats in my '98 that the PO did. The PO spliced in power (from the Battery with a fuse) from the XJ to the Coupler under the seat. The rear seats work too with a little messageing. I really like the rear ZJ seats with the 60/40 split, and the headrests.

I need to get some pics up on here of the seats. they look and feel great in the XJ.

I believe all you should need are a hot and a ground. You could even go pull the pigtail from a wrecked GC. Run the ground to a good spot on the body and the hot through a fuse relay to the battery.

what is po? and the rear seats fit also with no mods? cause this guy is selling the back seats to but if they bold in i will take them

PO means previous owner

So ZJ seats WILL fit in an XJ? Does it take any modification? I found some leather seats that look pretty nice and was thinking they would be pretty easy to clean mud off of, and would be pretty comfy.

Some curiosity Q's here:

So will most all ZJ seats bolt into the XJ?
Are there any years we should be worried about?
I have an 88, that needs a whole new interior.
One option is to get other Jeep Seats.
I have power fronts, and the bench in the rear, what are my options?

i did some more searching and i guess the grand seat wont be a direct bolt in with my year of cherokee. could i just use the grand cherokee brackets? and i also heard that i would need to make modifications so the power seats to fit. help!!!lol

TIM_MN: I tried your search, and not much comes up within that search. Yes there is talk, but not really a write up. And there is so much confusing talk at that. Most people dont post years, you then have to research what rig they drive, then cross reference it with your vehicle year, and remember the subtle differences if there are any. The easier thing to do would have been to just answer the question, or let some else.

You people get so caught up in your over glorified "Just Search It". THis is a community forum, yes reposts suck, but you dont walk into a public place and tell people to just quit asking questions and go search some where else. it was on topic too.

Oh, and the questions I asked, aren't really covered in any other of those searched posts...

So same questions:

ok sense i cant use my xj sliders(cause mines an 89) can i get some universal sliders and still have the power seats work? i kinda need a slider cause my xj is a two door and i kinda want to have the seat slide all the way forward so people can get in the back easyer. i heard if you use a slider you cant hook up the power is that true?

Raceghost said:
TIM_MN: I tried your search, and not much comes up within that search. Yes there is talk, but not really a write up. And there is so much confusing talk at that. Most people dont post years, you then have to research what rig they drive, then cross reference it with your vehicle year, and remember the subtle differences if there are any. The easier thing to do would have been to just answer the question, or let some else.

You people get so caught up in your over glorified "Just Search It". THis is a community forum, yes reposts suck, but you dont walk into a public place and tell people to just quit asking questions and go search some where else. it was on topic too.

Oh, and the questions I asked, aren't really covered in any other of those searched posts...

So same questions:
Okay, really not trying to be an ass, but just to let you know...yes all these questions have been answered several times.
See this thread...post #10
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92784&highlight=grand+cherokee+seats
Also this thread...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41219&highlight=WJ+grand+cherokee+seats
ALL ZJ and WJ seats will bolt onto 95+ XJ bases. They will not bolt up to 94- bases.
No years to worry about, there are different upholsterys that are more comfortable, if leather look for the pillowtop design.

Last edited:
redneck1939 said:
ok sense i cant use my xj sliders(cause mines an 89) can i get some universal sliders and still have the power seats work? i kinda need a slider cause my xj is a two door and i kinda want to have the seat slide all the way forward so people can get in the back easyer. i heard if you use a slider you cant hook up the power is that true?

anybody have an answer to these questions?. the links arnt helpin that much.

redneck1939 said:
anybody have an answer to these questions?. the links arnt helpin that much.
I agree, this branch of the topic hasn't been discussed very much. I think the best route in your case would be to adapt the flat bottom of the ZJ/WJ seat to your seat base. Again, it would not be a bolt n play, but I'm sure it could be done with some minor fab skills.

90PioSport99 said:
I agree, this branch of the topic hasn't been discussed very much. I think the best route in your case would be to adapt the flat bottom of the ZJ/WJ seat to your seat base. Again, it would not be a bolt n play, but I'm sure it could be done with some minor fab skills.
what is the flat bottom? is that the brackets? and if i do that will the power options on the seat still work? thanks for your help

redneck1939 said:
what is the flat bottom? is that the brackets? and if i do that will the power options on the seat still work? thanks for your help
The flat bottom is just the bottom of the seat on a 95+ XJ, or ZJ or WJ. They all have a "flat bottom" that bolts to the tracks in those years. Basically your XJ has a curved mounting system, and the bottom seat cushion of older XJs is curved to contour to the curved seat tracks. What I propose is actually adapting the "flat bottom" seat (ie: late model XJ, ZJ, WJ) to mount to the curved mounting system on your tracks. That way, you could use your existing tracks (that still have power) with new seats. Again, I have no idea how easily this could be done, it is something I have yet to look at deeply yet, but when I put my '90 XJ back together, I will probably be fabbing something to work.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']my existing tracks dont have power will that be a problem? the new seats are the ones that are power. im really only worried about the passenger side cause thats the side people use to get in the back. the drive side i will just drill new holes and call it good the passenger side i will need sliders that will alow the power to work i heard if you use the manuel stock sliders and put a power seat the power seat wont be able to work is that true?[/FONT]

True facts -

- XJ Cherokee, ZJ grand Cherokee, and WJ Grand Cherokee seats consist of a seat base/floor bracket, and the upholstered seat over a metal seat frame.

- Seat base/floor brackets are either a manual slider base/floor bracket or a power adjustable base/floor bracket. If you want bolt in power seats in your XJ Cherokee you need an XJ Cherokee power seat base/floor bracket that matches your Cherokee 1995, - or +.

- ZJ and WJ upholstered seats will bolt onto 1995 - 2001 XJ seat bases/floor bracket (XJ manual or XJ power adjust) only.

- You can adapt Grand Cherokee power seat bases to fit into an XJ Cherokee. There are no plans or drawings for this, you are on you own.

- You can adapt Grand Cherokee and 1997+ XJ Cherokee seats to 1995 and older Cherokees. Again, there are no plans or drawings for this, you are on your own.

- There is an additional metal bracket in the 1995+ Cherokees that is spot welded to the floor of the JEEP. This bracket is what makes swapping seats between early and late Cherokees not bolt in.

- Most JEEP power seat base/floor brackets have the adjustment switches in the seat base/floor bracket and to hook up the 12V power you only need a positive wire and a ground wire.

- Adapting Grand Cherokee rear seats to fit into an XJ Cherokee takes some fabricating of brackets and trimming of the plastic seat trim. There are some pictures of the final results, but no plans or drawings.

Last edited:
Back