• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 60 spool issue...

rcmf5525

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am building a set of 3/4 ton axles for my XJ and came across a strange problem. I was seting up the dana 60 rear with a spool and the ring gear bolts that came with the yukon master rebuild kit were too long. They bottomed out in the ring gear. It seems that the mounting surface of the spool is thinner than the standard carrier. Anyone come across this issue before???

rcmf5525 said:
I am building a set of 3/4 ton axles for my XJ and came across a strange problem. I was seting up the dana 60 rear with a spool and the ring gear bolts that came with the yukon master rebuild kit were too long. They bottomed out in the ring gear. It seems that the mounting surface of the spool is thinner than the standard carrier. Anyone come across this issue before???

Could the rebuild kit be made for a thick ring gear (ie. 5.13's on a 4.11 carrier)?

Who made the spool?

Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Could the rebuild kit be made for a thick ring gear (ie. 5.13's on a 4.11 carrier)?

Who made the spool?

Billy

Im not sure who made the spool. It just says Dana 60 spool 30 spline 4.56 and up on the Complete Offroad web site. It is the correct spool for gear size, and the install kit is for regular gears, not thick gears. So I dont know whats up...

My buddy at work had the same problem with his Moser spool. He had them milled to the proper length by our machinist buddy. I'm not sure what the deal is but they make the spool thinner than the factory carrier. I would guess they do it to save weight for race cars. Kevin

Back