• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proper Fuel Cell Venting?

toast

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I installed a fuel cell in my XJ, but the fumes are killing me, literally! I doesnt matter whether all four windows are down or not, that just seems to help bring fumes in!

I currently have it vented back down through the hole where the stock fuel pump wiring grommet is, thus it is below the tank. Does it need to be above the tank to properly vent it? Let me know what you guys are doing!

IMG_2564.jpg

Pic of the cell before it was hooked up..

IMG_2461.jpg

toast said:
:guitar:. Am I the only one with a fuel cell?

Maybe in a full-bodied XJ.
There are a few fuel cells running around (I will be whenever I can find some cash to even continue working on my XJ), but they all seem to be in "open air" vehicles.

I do believe with the vent above above the tank it will probably prove to yeild better results. How you do that without having it vent inside will be interesting...

I have a Jaz in the stock location. The vent line runs up into the cab then down into slot between the leaf and the fuel cell. The line terminates into a breather filter between the bumper and the liftgate.

But, even with this the fumes come back in. This is probably because I have a Jeepspeed and the rear shocks are coming through the floor. If the rear was sealed, it might be better.

We always ran them up high to prevent splash or whatnot forcing fuel out the end, they usually ended up head high (while sitting) with a "tip over valve" near the end.
They have "tip over valves" that screw into the fuel cell.
Most of the air on the hatch comes from the top or bottom, I'd vent it out the side up high.

This might be a stupid question, but if the cell is vented to the outside of the Jeep, regardless of location, how are the fumes still inside?

I would think that a vent that terminates higher then the top of the cell would be best. But again, Im confused how the fumes are still inside.

If I run a garden hose through my house, and the hose has no holes, no water should get inside the house. But if there are holes, the inside would get wet. (yes, my analogy sucks)

Are there holes in your inner fenders, or is the line secured well?

I wont say that it is 100% sealed off, but it is fairly well. It was a temporary routing to get the jeep running, but its worse than expected. I will be looking into a charcoal canister of some sort i guess.

Back