• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding in rear wheels

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Got a bit of grinding in the rear wheels lately. I thought it was crud in the drim brakes so sprayed them out but not it. 93 auto, chr 8.25 rear. Checked the rear diff and it's full, although I haven't changed it since Ive had the jeep. 3 yrs. Pulled one side drum and leaking a little fluid from the piston but not serious yet. Nothing noticeable wrong. The sound seems to only be there at VERY low speeds, literally a crawl. Seems to switch sides, nothing regular. Seems to do it more often on a turn. I dont wheel hard so I dont thing crud is in the axle. Could it be rear bearings? 160,000 miles on odometer. Any other questions I can answer I will. Help me out guys.

could be wheel bearings.Try tightening your pinion nut too.I've have heard that even when new the 8.25 was a noisey axle.Mine has a little bit of noise to it too and everything is tight.

ok, keep the ideas coming. I'll try those things.

you said it wasnt dirt build up... but mine did that after playing in sandy mud and was only at slow speeds aswell. i dissassembled brakes and brushed everything down and put em back together and it was good. wouldnt hurt to try unless there reaaly clean

The brakes were very dirty. Surprising since I had just done them this past summer! A lot of black crap. I had no brake cleaner so there was little I could do with them. I only checked one side tho. Is a little brake fluid in coming from the piston rubber seal a big deal? I'm hoping it was from a couple occasions of hard braking but if this is a problem then I will do an overhaul soon. I have to get in there and put my ebrake actuators back in. I also was surprised to see my adjusters that I took a lot of time last fall to disassemble, free up, and apply antisieze to, were seized up again! Shite! I'll do some cleaning and maintenance as soon as I can. Keep the ideas coming please, if you've been through this.

yeah,if your wheel cylinder is starting to seep,it is just a matter of time until it cuts loose.Its best to change it now before it starts getting fluid on the shoes and ruins them.As far as your noise goes, mabey you can get the backend up off the ground and run them.Might track the noise down this way.

Well in case anyone is interested I located the source of the grinding. I had only inspected the pass side rear brake and found a leaking wheel cylinder so today I planned on replacing both wc's. I started with the drivers side this time and when I removed the drum I found that the adjuster spring had broken and been grinding in there a bit, also the starwheel what all cockeyed as a result. Of course I had the wrong wheel cylinders so had to make a trip to return those, get the right ones as well as a couple of sets of adjusters and starwheels. Oh and of course all the brake line nuts broke off so new flare nuts but now were good to go. Thanks as usual for the responses.

Back