• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running older drum brake 8.8?

Tate228

NAXJA Forum User
Im finding these with LSD's for $50 at the pick and pull. anyone do this swap. iver read alot about the newer ones with the disks but never one with the other type of brakes. but shoot $50 bucks

Haleyes was running a drum 8.8. Never had any problems with it. He just swapped some disc brakes from a C.V. JIM.

IIRC the drum brake axles had 28 spline shafts instead of the 31 spline newer style. Unless you're running big tires on rocks it should do fine. It's a whole lot better than a D35, and you can always put 31 spline guts in it when you decide to get a real locker.

My $.02

Neal

cool thanks. I think i might just pick that beast up tomarrow. the posi seems good and tight. its a 3.73 so i'll prolly just drop like $500 on some 3.73's and a tru trac for my d30 and call it good. im on 245/75/16s so no biggie.

Unless I missed something, I believe ALL explorer 8.8 drum, or disc brakes are 31 spline.

ipkyss said:
Unless I missed something, I believe ALL explorer 8.8 drum, or disc brakes are 31 spline.
Nope:
img_5914.jpg

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98233

From what I have found is that the ranger 8.8 had the fewer splines and smaller housing tubes. All Explorer 8.8 had 31 spline axles and 3.25" axle tubes, 90-94 had 10x2.5or2.25?" Drum brakes... All 95-96 had Disc brakes. Just picked myself up a 94/Drums/Explorer 8.8/3.73/Trac-Loc assembly for $250.00 today infact. I don't like that axle pic though but that is what happens with a c-clip rear.

I know that an 01 Sporttrac has drums & 31 splines. That's what Haleyes has. JIM.

I think Stealth is correct. The V8 was available in the Explorers and not the Rangers, hence the beefier axle.

FWIW, my '00 Exploder 8.8 has 31 splines and discs, and my 99 Explorer 5.0L DD had 31 splines and discs.

I might be wrong on the spline count. I thought the last drum brake Explorer I had apart was 28 spline, but I have slept since then. If they are all 31 spline, then $50.00 is an even better deal!

Neal

ya im going to go pick it up after work. In wish it was a 4.10 but It not a huge thing. its mainly the limited slip im after since i wont be able to buy i locker for my axle. I may save my 8.25 and build it up with 4.56 and detroit. My plan with the front is buy some 3.73's to match the 8.8 then get a trutrac since i will still be able to use it when i go for 4.56 down the road. I figure if i can go from 3.08 open to 3.73 LSD f/r for under a grand, im in ok shape. should wheel pretty swell too.

May not be a bad idea to pull a shaft and count the splines if they will let you before you buy it, unless they have a return policy. Just to be sure you're not wasting your time and money.

I run an 8.8 drum 31 spline behind a built v8- two years no problems.

ive been running a 8.8 from a 92 mazda navaho 4x4 with 31 splines its a great rear with 4.56 and yukon axles,and soon a lockrite the parts are real reasonable have yet to break it like i did with my dana 35. the only problem i have is the emergency brake cable i dont have one with 8.5 inches of lift

Not sure about earlier years, but all 95 up Explorer axles are disc 31 splines no matter wich engine. You can find them with 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 gears in them and with or withought factory Trac Lok limited slip. The lowest you can go with a 8.8 dana 30 combo is 4.88s. I did some diggin before I put mine in.

Mine is a 3.73 with the trac lok. i just got the one that i felt had the tightest limited slip (not a scientific process) Im just going to gear my front to 3.73 for now and leave the 8.8 how it sits. mabe weld the tubes since its out.

Tate228 said:
what is the funny weight next to the pinion on my new axle (8.8) for cut down on axle wrap or somthing?
My 99 Exploder had a 3rd shock that attached to the pumpkin for some reason or another, that may be what you are seeing.

Back