• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Grand cherokee parts can be an upgrade to an xj?

hangubus

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys there is a pretty cleran grand cherokee at the local pick-n-pull and it is pretty much all there... im

are there any suspension parts that will lift my xj? Are the axles better? what about rear coils? anything you know about it would be awesome thanks!

MogifiedXJ said:
You can pull the wj knuckles and brakes for a cross over steering set-up off of the front axle...

Not if it's a ZJ. :)

Does it have rear discs?

RenegadeStang said:
If it's a V8 ZJ, the front springs will swap in on the XJ and give around an inch of lift.

What's a good way to get an inch in the back, while keeping the ride smooth? Is there a noticeable improvement in the ride with the ZJ front springs?

JeepDawg said:
What's a good way to get an inch in the back, while keeping the ride smooth? Is there a noticeable improvement in the ride with the ZJ front springs?

For a little more lift in the back you could probably throw in the main leaf from another Cherokee leaf set or get yourself some Comanche shackles. The shackles are about 1/2"-3/4" longer than the XJ and are beefier.

Not sure about the ride with the ZJ springs. They come off the V8 model, so I'd suspect they had a slighter stronger spring rate.

themangeraaad said:
what years have the 136 amp alt?

You're looking for one from one of these with a v8...

• 1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van
  • 1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
  • 1998 Dodge Durango
  • 1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup
  • 1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
If you have an older cherokee with a delco alt. you will have to buy and run an external voltage regulator because the newer denso alts. don't have a regulator they are controlled by the jeep's computer, but if your jeep came with a denso you're fine running one.

aren't zj LCA's a bit beefier too, with a bend for tire clearance?
Search junkyard parts in the mod tech, a few motnhs back there was a prett comprehensive list of junkyard mods.

87manche said:
aren't zj LCA's a bit beefier too, with a bend for tire clearance?
Search junkyard parts in the mod tech, a few motnhs back there was a prett comprehensive list of junkyard mods.

That might be WJ's. But I could be wrong. I am alot. :D

What's the difference between the GC wj and zj? Age? Size? Other?

Fish'nCarz said:
What's the difference between the GC wj and zj? Age? Size? Other?
they're alike only in name.
Zj's were the early 90's grand cherokees, square headlights, Wj's were the late 90's models wth the slanted grill sides. The didn't share platforms.
WK's are the new grands with the IFS

87manche said:
they're alike only in name.
Zj's were the early 90's grand cherokees, square headlights, Wj's were the late 90's models wth the slanted grill sides. The didn't share platforms.
WK's are the new grands with the IFS

so is the older one (zj?) the one with more swappable parts for an xj, or is it all "part dependent?"

Back