• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HOCKEY PUCK LIFT

91jeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 Cherokee Laredo and just got All-Terrain tires size 235/75/15. It was designed to only have on 195's not 235's, so I'm 4 sizes too big. I'd like to lift it a little so they don't rub, but don't want to spend a lot of money.
I only want to lift it a few inches and am not sure how to go about it. I could either do something with budget boosters (not the cheapest) or I could try what they did in my dad's day.
He calls it a Cooper Lift Kit, named after Cooper hockey pucks. For this I think all you do is jack it up and put hockey pucks with holes in them between the body mounts. I'm not sure if this will work with my vehicle, so if anyone has done this or knows how I would love your input. I would greatly appreciate if you could give me plans in any way!

Dude, put your flame suit on.

First, the XJ is a unibody, so there's no body mounts. The body is the frame. Second, 235/75/15 won't rub stock, so you're ok. And third, put your flame suit on.

Are you sure that your tires are suppose to be 195? OEM specs are 225. Hockey pucks are really only designed to be used as bump stops. You should try a spacer and shackle lift. It will give you an inch so that should be plenty for a 235.

XJ=unibody=no seperate body/tub on frame.....it's all one. You can only do a suspension lift.

I'm sure many others will chime in here with suggestions.

Welcome to NAXJA :cheers:

Jeff

nominated

The XJ is a unibody type vehicle.
Some simpe info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocoque and here:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3012/is_n1_v178/ai_20160852
Read up on those two articles, and then check out the Modified tech section for suspension lift ideas.

Edit: While trying to answer your question somewhat nicely, 5 others chimed in. Don't worry, every single one of them were newbs to XJ's at one time. Don't be discouraged to ask questions, but don't be afraid to read/research and use the search button.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHA

man, beer's in the fridge.

Sorry, I didn't know it was a unibody, and yes inside the door the specs say 195's, but I had on 225's before the 235's. The 235's do rub a little and I guess that I will have to do a suspension lift instead. Now I just need some suggestions of products, and will I have to pay someone else to install them? Thanks for your fast replies!

88XjLaredo said:
Hockey pucks are really only designed to be used as bump stops.

I'm sure that is exactly what James Creighton was thinking of when he made the hockey puck.

91jeepster said:
Sorry, I didn't know it was a unibody, and yes inside the door the specs say 195's, but I had on 225's before the 235's. The 235's do rub a little and I guess that I will have to do a suspension lift instead. Now I just need some suggestions of products, and will I have to pay someone else to install them? Thanks for your fast replies!

There is no reason to lift it on 235s.

Welcome. Budget boosts are cheaper than you think. I would try ebay. I scored a daystar 2" budget boost for $40. I didn't realize that Cherokees are unibody when I first got mine either. If your 235's rub, then maybe you have different than stock wheels? I just did my 87 with a bb and 235's and it looks great. Another thing you might not know is with a lift your front tires are slightly towed in. If you have a nice set on your rig, I would recomend a front end alignment. Otherwise the tires will wear a little quicker on the outside edge but nto too bad. I think I paid about $70 for a front end alignment. :eeks1:

The only reason those tires would rub is sagging springs. A spacer/shackle lift will boost it up a little, but if your springs are shot I'd go with a spring lift. You can get cheap 3" spring lifts for $400-$500-ish.

OK, here's a serious answer...

If you're not planning on running larger than the 235's and/or lifting it anymore than necessary anytime soon, go to a wrecking yard that has an MJ (Comanche Pick-up) and remove the shackles from the rear springs and the rubber-coated front coil spring isolaters (spacers) and use those on your XJ for .75" of lift. This is probably the cheapest way to go and suits your purpose, providing you can find the MJ.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the info, I think rather than going for a 2 inch I might save up and go for more of higher lift since I will be putting money into it anyway. What I was thinking was that if the Jeep ever failed I would just take my investment off and put it on another Jeep. If I get something like a 4 inch lift will I be able to put it on another Jeep later, or does it have to be an XJ?

Thanks a bunch for all of your input!:laugh3:

Metric tire size to inches.

Example- 265 75R 16

265x.039375=10.434 (Tire Width)

10.434x.75=7.826 (Sidewall)

7.826x2=15.652 (Total Sidewall top and Bottom)

15.652+16=31.652 Total Hieght of Tire

Math is Fun:peace:

Back