• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 ZJ Tierod Upgrade

mikegronholz

NAXJA Forum User
i have asked a lot of questions and now i'd like to offer up some knowledge i gained :) i put the ZJ V8 tie rod assembly on this weekend. Bought it all from O'Reilly for $120 with a lifetime guarantee. This thing is HUGE. Bolted right in with no mods. The bar is 1" solid stock !!! The sterring is very different. it is nice. The slop i felt was apparently my tierod flexing (sure enough, the rod was bent when i took it off). These are probably available at the local pick ' pull for about $10 ... if the joints are good, snatch it up. i just can't describe the difference. Well worth the cash.

That is now somewhere on my to do list(already did the rear disks). Next up is installing the Taurus fan once I buy the relay, thermo, and wiring. I haven't gotten into that WJ knuckle/big brake upgrade yet either.

Got mine from a parts rig that I got the motor from.

Mine are MOOG from the local O'Reilly's.

mikegronholz said:
Mine are MOOG from the local O'Reilly's.
Mine are from O'Reillys also. Im kinda bias though as I am management at O'Reillys in Houston(by 45 and 1960 area)
Here are the part # I used for mine. They were all moog parts aswell
1 #DS1312 long tie rod, its solid not hollow
1 #DS1238 drag link
2 #ES3096L short tie rod ends(1 by pitman, 1 by outer driver side)
2 #ES2079S adjustment sleeves

Last edited:
I'm interested in doing this upgrade as well, but was wondering how hard it would be to find a ZJ tierod.
You say you paid $120?
I'm curious how that compares to something like the Currie (rod only-no TRE's) for $85 or the Rusty's HD unit complete for $99?
(these are replacement tie rods only - for the stock setup. Not parts for their steering 'systems')

How hard is it to find the ZJ rods, and what do they normally sell for?

can you take a picture of the setup for us, is it an inverted y setup or not?

I'll get a pic tomorrow if Mikegronholz doesn't beat me to it. Here are the walk in prices from O'Reillys all moog's
DS1312 $64.99
DS1238 $100.99
ES3096L $35.99 each
ES2079S $20.99 each

total of $279.94 to do it all (1-DS1312, 1-DS1238, 2-ES3096L, 2-ES2079S)
total of $121.97 with out the drag link setup (1-DS1312, 1-ES3096L, 1-ES2079S)
plus tax if applicable

magimerlin said:
Mine are from O'Reillys also. Im kinda bias though as I am management at O'Reillys in Houston(by 45 and 1960 area)
Here are the part # I used for mine. They were all moog parts aswell
1 #DS1312 long tie rod, its solid not hollow
1 #DS1238 drag link
2 #ES3096L short tie rod ends(1 by pitman, 1 by outer driver side)
2 #ES2079S adjustment sleeves
These part numbers should be the same at Advance Auto as well, just in a TRW box. Little bias here as well :wave:

oo7ravisXJ said:
can you take a picture of the setup for us, is it an inverted y setup or not?
Factory replacement, just bigger ... way bigger ... here are pics ... my hand is there to give reference in bar thickness ...

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikegronholz/XJUnderside/photo#5171288895813902994

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikegronholz/XJUnderside/photo#5171288900108870306

also, as for price, i grabbed one for a buddy at the pick 'n pull yesterday for $12.65 out the door. TREs were ok.

Last edited:
I have a 89 Limited. What year ZJ will fit?

any V8 ZJ

Blaine B. said:
Are ZJ draglinks any different too?

Mine needed replacement at the same time so I got the ZJ one. They (my original and the ZJ) looked the same.

89xj said:
ive also done the zj tierod swap with 4.5" lift and it made a big difference.

forgot to mention, this was on my 89.

btw, it doesnt matter what year(87-01)xj you have, they all have the same steering components.

SgtJCJ said:
Anybody that's done this have any calipers? What diameter are the ZJ bars?
The tie rod is 1" thick and is solid not hollow. is is on a 3" lift(not that it will matter what size lift you run) Here are my pics and yes I know I need a new oil pan. I'm replacing it when I do the rear main seal.
zjtierodsetup005.jpg

zjtierodsetup001.jpg

Back