• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift AWESOME ride.

goodburbon

NAXJA Forum User
I have finally have the 3" lift on my wife's white cherokee nearly complete. The ride is much much better than stock. Here is the rundown and costs associated.

Front:

Rough country 3" springs. $85
Called Jason (Naxja discount included)
Rough Country Fixed CAs $85
Called Jason (naxja discount included)
Bilstein 5100 shocks for 3" lift $185
Sourced from local supplier

Rear.

2x heavy duty replacement springs =$140
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11.htm

2x shackle end bushings =$14
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56001_06.htm

2x Main eye bushings = $18
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56001_05.htm

Teraflex 1.5" lift shackles =$63
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16191_703.htm

Grand total of $590

After installation I checked clearances, and function. The trac bar did not need to be relocated at this height. The rear does not vibe on her 2000 year model xj with d-35 and NP 242. The ride was bouncy and jolting before, now it is cadillac smooth.

The stock height rear shocks are a tad short now, and only allow about an inch of downward travel before topping out. Rear shocks are in future plans.The rear stuffs well with the 245/74/16s now, but the front rubs just a tad.

Sure I could have had a kit for less, but I wanted good shocks and full leaf packs. All in all I am happy with the way it has turned out, especially the ride quality.

89xj said:
i dont see how the front axle can still be centered with a 3" lift.

Me either :dunno:

Well when I got my RE 3.5" kit on, I redrilled the trac bar hole 3/4" over.

After settling it all down, my front axle was shifted too far over. I never got around to moving it back to stock, but that probably would have fixed it.

Me either, but I went through all the motions, drilled the hole and relocated the trac bar and it was Waaaaay off, putting all of the CA bushings in a bind at ride height and pushing the tire beyond the flare toward the passenger side. While it is not exactly centered it is within a quarter inch in the original hole.

Also of note, I had 2.25" spacers in there before the lift, it has a Warn xformer winch mount and winch. and the net gain was 1.5 inches with the 3" springs versus the 2.25 inch spacers and stock springs.

I just finished my 4.5 and I would say the same thing...rides great. I also sourced a lot of parts from Jason. I'm still riding on stock UCA's, haven't had luck with removing the bolts on the stocks to replace with the adjustable uppers. I run 235/85/16's at 35psi ;)

xcm said:
BIG differant between 3 and RE's idea of "3.5"
i argue all the time that my 3" lifted jeep doesnt need a new tracbar

when i was at 3" with all new springs, i needed an adjustable track bar. the front axle was not centered. when i went to 4.5", i needed a couple of turns on the trackbar to get the axle centered.

doesnt matter how you get 3" up front, i still cant see how the axle is still centered.

Who would some of you recommend for the "Adjustable Trackbar"?
I am running the Pro Comp 3" inch lift. Mine looks center...but, I do seem to be getting some binding, not much, but some here and there...
...Maybe bindind isnt the word for it, I have a couple of sticky spots. Not because the tires are rubbing, but something under the drivers side, seems to stick the steering, then you feel a sort of left to right pulse in the steering, then it is free again...
Not sure what the hell is going on. look under, and can't seem to see what physically would be causing it, except a faulty gear box, or pump.

I guess every XJ is different. I just lifted my 1999 3.5 inches and after reading some threads, drilled a hole 3/4" away from the original and re-located my track bar. After this, the axle was way off so I put it back to the original hole and the axle is centered. Go figure.

My axle was WAYYYYY off with just 2 inch spacers a zj coils.

One side would rub the control arm, and the sway bar mount bent.

Got a new RE 1600 track bar, and it rides, and tracks much better.

I guess every XJ is different. I just lifted my 1999 3.5 inches and after reading some threads, drilled a hole 3/4" away from the original and re-located my track bar. After this, the axle was way off so I put it back to the original hole and the axle is centered. Go figure.

Did you measure to see if you got a true 3''? Could your XJ have sagged to 2'' below stock, and you really only lifted it 1'' over stock?

I deffinetly need a trac bar for my '95 at 3.5". I'm calling up Rough Country ethier tomorrow or ASAP! I'm sitting at a true 3.5" in the rear after settling down and 3 1/8" up front for reference.

I have two 87 waggies with a RC 3 in lift. One of the waggies needed a hole redrilled due to being "WAY OFF". Made a write up on here. My other waggie tracks great still go figure. I have 30's on the one that tracks good so I just chalked it up to bigger tires even though that sounds stupid' My Jeeps are a testament to every jeep is different lol.

An awesome trackbar for small lift Jeeps is "Kevins Off Road" kit.
It incorporates the large bend required to clear the differential cover, eliminates the tie rod end, has a spherical end at the axle and is adjustable.

Back