• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Entire Cooling Repl.

cbarto

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to replace my leaking radiator. While I am at it I am going to replace everything else: Hoses, Pump, Thermo. And seals. My concern is with flushing everything prior to installing new parts. What does everyone suggest? just a straight water flush or Prestone flush. I just dont want to ruin the thermo or pump when the flow increases and cleans everything out. Oh all part are still stock 124000 miles the pump does not circulate enough at idle to keep the temp down, a little throttle and the elect fan doesnt kick on at red lights. Is there anything else I may need to replace?00 4.0 aw4 a/c. Thanks All Love this site lots of info.

Pumps don't often go bad except when the seals fail. The pump itself is just an impeller and the only real way for the impeller to fail is if it corrodes from acid flushes or very extreme old age. They've on very rare occasions been known to suffer some sort of mechanical damage. Like a bolt in cooling system or sand left in the block casting at the foundry.

The mechanical fan clutch being weak and/or fine dust/pollen/mud whatever blocking off the radiator air flow is likely the problem when it overheats at idle. Most likely the fan clutch.

I would do the pump while the radiator is out, it's very easy and is a real bitch to do with the radiator in.

Hoses, pump, stat, radiator - that should do it.

I want to do it all not that some parts probably are ok but I have the time so now it is. What about flushing? what does anyone recommend.

what year? if you've got the crappy old pressure bottle system, I'd upgrade to the newer style now!

While you have the radiator out you might want to throw on a new serpentine belt and idler pulley. Just did my radiator this past weekend.

Back