• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Major Coolant Leak - Radiator possible?

xzalt

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I've got a 95XJ/auto/4.0 with 170k. The radiator is a reman with about 60k on it.

I was driving down the highway today and the engine temp just kept climbing into the red and then past it. So I pulled off the highway and it dropped back down. I added 1/2 a liter of water to the overflow and this seemed to help.

The heat hasn't ever been the coldest, and it's been really slow to blow even warm air recently.

Then about 4 hours later I start it up and the temp does the same thing, but not on the highway. This time I've got steam from the leaking fluid.

I limp home and start to investigate. Long story short - there doesn't seem to be a leak while the engine is running, but once turned off the fluid gushes out from the passenger side of the radiator.

I can't tell if the radiator it self is leaking, or it's coming from something behind the radiator.

What can cause this?

From what I've read already, places I need to look are: leak in the lower hose, bad radiator cap, bad water pump.

What places should I look first?

Unfortunately this is my only vehicle, so I'm hoping to get it back up and running as soon as I can.

Thanks for your help!

Gavin

Thanks for the idea. I tried that about 10 minutes ago, warmed up up to operating temp and the hoses don't seem to be leaking on that side. The radiator fan is throwing up a mist, and inside the shroud the coolant is pooling. So it looks like it's coming from the backside of the radiator.

After I shut it down the coolant pours out see the picture below

20080225-rjn1cbq3hxa633qyfihmmgdxib.jpg

I also have a steady drip where the overflow hose connects to the radiator fill cap.

20080225-mt3a581943i4gxp8ft5t2eptn3.jpg

Thoughts, tips, tricks?

Thanks

Gavin

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! I went with a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and hoses all around.

Ran into a couple snags, but a couple of local NAXJA'rs helped me out.

Thanks!

Gavin

Back