• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats wrong with a rear locker and a manual trans?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I've heard this mentioned here a couple times, but never saw much backup to why its a bad idea. I've got an 8.8 with an LSD that I don't feel does much of anything, looking to upgrade.

Nothing inherently bad about that combo, but a clutch/auto locker combo tends to engage harder than a automatic/auto locker combo, especially accellerating out of turns.

It's a learning curve, once you get it down, no problems.

Like said, not a big deal at all, had a detroit in my MJ and it was minor. Once you get used to it, no biggie. Friends will wonder whats wrong with the rearend though, pretty funny.

And looking to sell the limited slip? Doesnt help that much? Facotry limited slip?

summitlt said:
Like said, not a big deal at all, had a detroit in my MJ and it was minor. Once you get used to it, no biggie. Friends will wonder whats wrong with the rearend though, pretty funny.

And looking to sell the limited slip? Doesnt help that much? Facotry limited slip?

yeah its factory. this is the 3rd vehicle i've had with a factory lsd (priors being a chevy s10 and a mustang) and I never noticed much of an effect from it on any of them. I know stock ones are weak, but jeez, I'm not that hard on my cars!

IllianaXJ said:
Nothing inherently bad about that combo, but a clutch/auto locker combo tends to engage harder than a automatic/auto locker combo, especially accellerating out of turns.

It's a learning curve, once you get it down, no problems.

since its not a daily i'm more willing to put up with it, but one post in particular i saw said it was "dangerous"

well the danger arises in the fact that on wet/icy roads around a corner the locker can engage or disengage and cause you to lose traction and loose control if your not ready for it.

milehigh said:
well the danger arises in the fact that on wet/icy roads around a corner the locker can engage or disengage and cause you to lose traction and loose control if your not ready for it.

icy is no concern to me. wet is on occasion...

What about spooled or welded spiders? more dangerous in slick conditions because it doesn't unlock? More predictable for the same reason? ive been thinking about welding up my rear axle untill i upgrade it, but for now its my DD. sorry to thread hi-jack

you do know that welding your spiders will eat tires right? on a DD it's not a good idea... kills your turning radius, eats tires, etc.

Ya I know, my other car is burried in 4 ft of snow so once i can get it out it wouldn't really be a big deal. basically im trying to figure out what to do when i replace the rear axle, id like to spool it cuz im cheap but want to hear some opinions.

edit: The XJ will see road time, getting to traisl, hunting, biking, fishing. but won't be my main means of transport

right on. It might work for you... You could always just do it and if you don't like it it gives you a reason to do an axle swap to an 8.8 or a D44!

it's not horrible, I DD'd a full detroit and my Ax-15 for a year.

Push the clutch in when going around a turn, and expect a large bang if you let the clutch back out and you're not pointed straight again.

it's not a big deal once you learn how to manage it.

It takes some getting used to but I wouldn't say it's dangerous. I had a detroit in my 9" with a 5speed when I used my trail rig as a dd and as mentioned before, in bad road conditions take corners in nuetral or at least off the gas. It's fun if you want to do it, but there were a few times when I took a corner with too much skinny pedal on wet pavement and I went for a ride. You get a feel for what you can get away with fairly quickly, it pops and clicks more than an auto it seemed but, I don't think its any more or less difficult to deal with than a locker and an automatic, you just need to adjust your driving habits a little.

I just put an Aussie in the D44 in the rear of my XJ which has a 5 speed. It's taken a little getting used to, but it's not too different from driving a rwd car/truck in the winter. Sharp rights/lefts seem to take the most talent to get through smoothly. I plan on putting some weight in the back, and need new tires badly too.

I've never had the factory trac-loc, but have had an Auburn LSD in two of my AX-15 XJs. I love the traction, predictability, and the way it puts down the power. Every now and then I check to see that it works on turns dry or wet.

Back