• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help quick!!!!!

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
Dont meant to be demanding but, i was just playing with my 96 xj on a snow pile ang got the front tires up a good 6-7 feet. after posing for a pic for a few min. the truck started to sputter. i rolled off the hill and now it wont start. it let out a different smell and after barely running (barrely sputtering) a few times then shutting off now it wont turn over. i am in the red on the gas gauge but should def have enough for it to run. should i just add gas or is there somthing i have to do to prime it. what do you guys think i gotta get it out of the lot and dont have money for a tow.

It wont turn over or it wont start? It probably starved the pickup for gas at that angle. Try some starting fluid or worst case scenario get a tow strap and a buddy to haul it home and look deeper.

Hold the TB butterfly open and give it a @3 second shot of start fluid. Then try and start it. If that doesn't work, check for spark, fuel at the rail, etc.

first off i would add some gas and see if that's your problem. if not try putting a little gas directly into the carb. if it won't start then you've got another problem. if it won't turn over you most likely have a gas problem. if the engine was starved for gas then you probably got a pocket of air in the line when the engine stopped and that sputtering was probably whatever gas was left before that pocket. if it does start but won't turn over then try starting it and hold it for a little bit while the gas makes its way back up the line again. make sure you have a buddy with you and some jumper cables in case it takes too long and your battery starts dying.

i put gas in i and it got me to a 1/4 tank. i also put some gas in the tb a bunch of times and all that did as make it sputer up to 1000 rpms for a few seconds. sometime the sputter is so bad it sounds like 1 cilynder is firing and the car shakes. i also got a little fireball from the tb. Is the valve on the fuel rail supposed to have pressure? thanks for the help i need it oh and while we are on the topic can somone define turnover?

You may have to change the fuel filter. If you were that low on gas and with the tank angled you may have gotten crud sucked into the fuel filter and not getting enough fuel to the engine.

Back